Multicore to Wallplate

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Julián Fernández

Multicore to Wallplate

Post by Julián Fernández »

Hi guys! It´s time to think about how to run all the cables for my new homestudio...
I have an 8 channels xlr-xlr multicore, and i wanna make a wallplate from it.
I´m not sure which other cables should i mount on the wallplate, and that´s why i´m asking for your help...
Here´s mi list so far...

8 XLR lines
2 1/4´ mono for speakers on recording room
4 1/4´ stereo for headphones on rr.
1 1/4´ stereo for keyboard player (on r.r side)
1 MIDI for keyboard and rhythm machine
UTP for remote control of the DAW
RCA or S-VIDEO for video monitoring

Anything else? Anything to keep in mind while doing it?
Thanks!
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Waht are you doing in your studio? What are you planning to do in the future? Are you using conduit so that you can run new/different cable in t e future?
Pennywizz6

Post by Pennywizz6 »

One thing is dont look at what you need... look at what you might need, or could need in the future. Midis, 1/4 TS, 1/4 TRS, Speakon, XLR ext, it might cost more but go crazy!

Fill
Julián Fernández

Thanks guys for the replies! I´m a drummer, and i´ll be recording mostly drums... but i´ll rehearsing in the studio too. (Jazz combos and working combos, 4 people including me)
I don´t really know what is what i MIGHT need!
That´s why i want some help. I´m recording with my firepod, so 8 xlr channels is enough. But i´m kind of lost on other connections i may use on my studio...
BTW i don´t have plans to have a conduit for my cables...
I´m not sure when using TS or TRS 1/4´ either... :?
Pennywizz6

Post by Pennywizz6 »

Hello,

TRS is Tip/ring/sleeve 1/4 plugs, commonly referred to as a balanced cable. Balanced cables will have less operating noise compared to those being unbalanced because of their phasing. TS will work just fine, but you will prolly opt for a DI box, which balances TS in's into a balanced TRS or XLR. I use a Behringer Ultra DI Pro 8 channel, works just fine. Most mics are standard XLR so you will want as many of those as mics on your set. Keep in mind for exspansion you may have 4 mics now, but later on you may reach 8, its easily done! overheads, snare, toms, kick, cymbal overheads and so forth! Id go for 10 XLR (8 reserved for drums, 2 for vocals?) One digital coax for Keyboards on stereo, 4 coax in general, 3 or so 1/4s for guitars and 2-3 midis, in, out and possibly a thru, a set of speakons (depending on monitor setup?) and heck, id throw on a couple 1/4TRS, they are so versital and cheap.

Fill
Julián Fernández

Thanks!
Here´s the basic idea of what i may need...
Besides the 8 xlr channels, i don´t know which cable should i wire to the connectors...
If i use a trs connector with a balanced cable, that it means that i can send an stereo signal trought it?
Should i use all balanced cables for this wallplate?
The use for DI is only neccesary if i connect an instrument onto the TRS directly? I mean, a keyboard for example... Where´s the place for the DI? Between the source unbalanced and the wallplate?
Thanks again...
Pennywizz6

Post by Pennywizz6 »

I would just use TRS for all your 1/4's, I cant think of any reason why not, and if you just have a TS plug, it will just be a TS signal and yes, TRS can be used for stereo. I would add at least one more MIDI for a MIDI in and out connectivity. I even think 2 more XLR, 2 more 1/4 and one stereo coax. That should cover most everything you would need.

You can wire all connectors (besides midi) with XLR cable, its just + - and ground.

For the DI it is useful to balance and clean TS connection, where it will just clean up the signal from a TRS cable or if its direct from a guitar (guitars are just TS) a DI will apply the signal to the the tip and ring. It would go between the outs of your wallplate to your recording interface. It will reduce or eliminate cable noise along with guitar and other hi-z noise.

Fill
mn1247

Re: Multicore to Wallplate

Post by mn1247 »

I am curious... how do you wire all of these different signals without causing interference between the cables?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I am curious... how do you wire all of these different signals without causing interference between the cables?
You use shielded multicore cable that is specifically designed for audio snakes. Or you use individual shielded audio cable.

- Stuart -
mn1247

Post by mn1247 »

So the speaker and the headphone signals won't interfere with the mic signals that way? I thought they had to be physically separated. ????