1/2in MDF for corner trap

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

feni

1/2in MDF for corner trap

Post by feni »

Hi everyone
this is a great forum, but let me start posting with some stupid Questions, Pls, John or someone can give me some advice.
I want to build some slot and slat type corner trap, but can i use 1/2" MDF instead of 1" MDF for the box, why 1"? if we will put them in the corner where there are walls behind !. Also can i put a 2' tall corner trap on top of a 4' tall trap, with different slot width together as a boardband abosorber ?. If i use a 1" MDF will it become a stand alone unit so i can put wheels under these traps.
Sorry! english is my second langauge, i will try to make my sentence short next time. THanx
feni
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Feni, sorry for the delay in answering, John is taking a small holiday so I'm covering for him...

The 1" MDF is stiffer, and won't flex as much with low frequency sound. You could use a thinner MDF, but it would likely change the low frequency absorption by acting somewhat as a panel absorber itself. This might actually improve the low end performance some, but it's not something that's easily figured out without actually building and testing units both ways.

"can i put a 2' tall corner trap on top of a 4' tall trap, with different slot width together as a boardband abosorber ?. " - Sure. That should work fine.

"If i use a 1" MDF will it become a stand alone unit so i can put wheels under these traps. " - Yes, just make sure you don't use wheels that will vibrate - the traps need to be up against the walls as much as possible, and if you don't fasten them firmly to the walls you should rest them on pieces of carpet to keep them from rattling.

As for your English, it kicks the heck out of MY second language (I don't HAVE one)

I hope that answered some of your questions, I'll tackle your other post next... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
feni

Post by feni »

Thanx Steve ! u do clearify lots of my questions !
But may you allow me to follow up the question about the thickness of the bass trap ?. As u said that stiffer the back panel will give a more predictable result of the panel, that's also what i used to think it is, but yester day i read from a book by Mr. Everest., state that " the backs of both these module are uncritical: 1/4" hardboard or plywood is adeqate", this is from a chapter that he show in his book that u can make some Wide Band and Low Band modules using the same kind of boxes, 4" 703 for wide band and perforated panel for the low band !. I have to confess that i was so happy to see that and hoping it is true and it can be apply to any kind of bass trap, because it will bring the building cost down a lot a lot, 1" MDF is quite expansive, and most of the depot shops stock only 3/4" MDF, here.
So, Is there a different theory behind Mr. Everest satement ? and 3/4' MDF will be a acceptable compromise for slat type bass trap ?
feni
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Feni, 3/4" MDF should be plenty for module backs - I'm curious though, which of Mr. Everest's books (and what page) did you find that statement in? I looked briefly thru his Master Handbook, and didn't find it. I have a few of his other books but not handy at the moment... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
feni

Post by feni »

Thanx Steve !
Sorry !!. The book is named " how to build a small buget recording studio "
by F.Alton Everest and Mike Shea. 2nd edition, and the statement is on page 130.
i can scan this page and post it, if it is allowed.
feni
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Thanks, Feni, but that's not a good idea - I have a copy of that book anyway, I'll check it out.

Thanks again - any time I learn (or RE-learn :=) anything, it's been a good day... Steve