Studio in a Container

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

sharward

Post by sharward »

Who here would jump at the chance to buy a copy of the container itself? (That's a serious question!)
Camelx8

Post by Camelx8 »

I have just discovered this forum from recording.org and have been hunting around for info on building in a container for a while... and what do i find the top post here is? Fantastic!

I have a 40ft container (yeah its big) that im building a studio and a speaker test chamber into. The container itsself is being extended width ways by 4ft (the standard width is far to small).

I have a few questions....

a) The Aircon system... how did you run the ducts into the container? and how well does this perform with the doors closed and the sun beating down outside?

b) Are your walls standard 2x4 frame with mineral fibre installed to provide the good insulation? I was planning to use 100mm mineral fibre, resiliant bars, and two layers of drywall sandwiching sheet block, or is that overkill?

c) would you be intrested in pictures during construction and after?

Thanks in advance

Oli
Synapse

Post by Synapse »

I'm also interested in this, what was the total cost, and approximate amount of man-hours required?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

This one was built in the smaller 20ft refrigerated version. It's lined inside with polyfoam and then a stainless steel inner lining. In the back end are two ports (for the original refridgeration units) through which we fed send and return ducts with a split system mounted on the rear.

because it's the fridge version the aircon works very well. When you walk into it and it's been closed up the aircon has the rooms stable and full of fresh air within minutes.

cheers
john
Paulkent

Post by Paulkent »

http://www.sevenasset.co.uk/
http://www.boxtainer.co.uk/

two UK refrigerated container companies.

A similar 20ft refrigerated unit would cost around 3 to 4.5k

I've been looking at a possible portastudio for use in youthwork. I'm torn between using this or a converted bus unit. It's for moving around to 'troubled areas' to do work with the youth in those areas...

The YMCA used non refrigerated units as POD's which were highly successful youth clubs that were basically dumped in a priority neighbourhood and used as a base to do youth work out of..

interesting concept.. nice results on the container btw.

Paul
If you can't beat them, join them. With caulk.
dougo

Drum Sound in the container

Post by dougo »

I was just curious how the drum sounds are in the container. This container is about the size of my garage and would be perfect.

Take care,
Doug
Jamplified

Post by Jamplified »

I'd like to know about how the drums sound in there as well.
I have a couple containers that I could use, so hopefully I can save a bunch of money using one of them for a live room.
Trancetones

Post by Trancetones »

Hi John,

Thanks for this forum.

Was their any treatment or cloud on the ceiling? Was it 90 degree angles from the wall to the ceiling? I'm currently building this design (roughly) in a space in my loft. I'll be posting pics soon. What I'm building is slightly shorter, slightly taller, and no center wall/door as I'm recording myself most of the time.
Shooting Star Productions - The Sound Lab - Santa Barbara, California, USA
~Sirius Nuncius~
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

The ceiling is made up of inside/out panels - the drywall is on the outside (top) of a 3" x 1" frame like this attached pic.

cheers
john
Dave-H

Post by Dave-H »

What a cool idea & if you ever move you can take your studio with you!

Dave H :D
Will Drum For Money!!
jayc72

Post by jayc72 »

Hi John, I just want to say you have a nice site, I've been looking for something like this...with that said, if you don't mind me asking,

1. how much do the plans cost for something like this?
2. what do i have to do to purchase this design?
3. do the designs come in feet and inches?

thanks again John,
jay :)

email is: jay_c_72@yahoo.com
MountainKing

How much did it cost?

Post by MountainKing »

Hi!

Jens, from germany. This is my first posting here - great forum! Big up!

I'd just like to know about the costs of that project ..... How much was the interior finish in a whole???

It could be a solution for me after a long, long search for different possibilities I considered. Outside the house is great because: no noise IN the house - that's the main interest for me. And it's much more than a COOOOOL solution!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english!
MountainKing

Post by MountainKing »

Are there any responses possible in this thread or is it kind of "closed" ...?!? That could be as well but one had to know about that then .....

Just a question .... not more..... :)
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

hey i came across the forum while browsing for info on a studio container
and i fell in love with this design

does anyone have the dimensions for this? or a skp file?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

hey guys - the plan for the container studio is the property of the guy who put up the money for the design and plan - I am in no position to share it with you further than I've already done.

cheers
john