Kendale's Studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Ro

Post by Ro »

no thanx Kendale.... oh wait, that was the OTHER Roman :)

cheers,
Roman
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

hehe, yes, was me... :lol:
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Small update: there's a cloud on the horizon...well, almost. :P

My contractor friend and I finally hooked up and got six 5/16" x 6" eye bolts installed. With a minor adjustment on the cloud unit bracing and a repositioning of the eye bolts, we're looking to hang maybe Tuesday of next week. Cool.

Since the console had been unhooked, I thought it be good chance to get a pic of the front wall while we were at it.

It's getting close.

Aloha 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

15,000+ views. Thanks guys. :D

Aloha 8)
Last edited by kendale on Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Modified braces done - six 2" x 4"s, which ties the outside frame to the inner frame strengthening it, and holds the rockwool from falling out the back when moving into position. :D This was done due to the spacing of the ceiling joists was slightly farther out than the corner blocks, so instead of having the cloud off center above the mix position, we went with six eyebolts working from the inside out.

Aloha 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

The cloud is up! :D

Mahalo plenty to Rene' Guidry, Frank & Travis of Cajun Construction.

Aloha 8)
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

aloha kendale

damn! this looks amazing! :shock: :shock:

but where is the second cloud? :wink:

nice work as usual, keep going...

roman
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha roman,

Thanks! The difference in ambience that the lighting makes is quite enjoyable, not to mention that I can see the lettering on the console now. I'll have to post acoustic reviews after the rest of the studio gets put back together, but the sense of quiet overhead is already apparent.

The second cloud is still not yet on the horizon, but hopefully will be rising soon.

Aloha 8)
guitardad72

Post by guitardad72 »

Aloha Kendale,

Yes that does look fine!!!

Looks like we both hit a little milestone today. :D :D :D

Did you consider hooking the lights up to a couple swithces so that you can get a dimmed light effect, with out a dimmer (dimmer could cause noise in electrical)?

Marc
As of Jun 2011, have not finished studio. But working as The One Man Band Marc Dobson which hopefully will continue up my career to a point where I can afford to finish my build.
camistan

Post by camistan »

Hey Kendale...

Man that is S-WEEEEEEEE-T!! Looks great!

You may have answered this but did you use a dimmer switch for the lights? If so, are you getting any hum-buzzes-or noises? Also if you did, what type/brand did you get?

I'll bet if you put on something soft, lay back in your "captains chair", dim those lights, and watch the LED lights as they flicker for each channel (You pushin' 24 tracks? 48 tracks??) that has to put you in a relax mode.
When I would mix a song I would always turn all the lights off and watch my mixer LED meters move up and down a while, then I would closed my eyes and get into my music...now "that's" nice...

Congrats on another piece of "fine craftmanship"
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Thanks, guys.
Did you consider hooking the lights up to a couple swithces so that you can get a dimmed light effect, without a dimmer (dimmer could cause noise in electrical)?
Yes, I did look into separate switches, but I decided to go with a dimmer instead (Lutron DVW-600PH-WH 600w Single Pole with radio frequency interference suppression circuitry.) We'll see how well it performs. :roll:

Aloha 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Dimmer installed and...so far no buzzing. :D

Here's a few of shots of the various "mood lighting" modes.

Aloha 8)
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

well, as someone said that before: i hate you! ;-)

ah, you removed also the vitrine on the left side for these pics, great!
tmix

Post by tmix »

That looks soooo excellent!
I am jealous as well.

Work on!

Tom
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Thanks, guys. :wink:

But.......I don't think it's quite there.......yet. :shock:

While I do like the drama it creates, there's a little fine tuning I'd like to have done. It needs to move over to the right about 3", and another 12" towards the rear of the room. I'll have to see when my contractor friend is available again. :roll:

On a slightly different note, we've started mixing down a client's project and I have to say that the mixes are turning out so much cleaner and quicker than the last project done here before the treatments. Very cool. 8)

I've also been tossing a around few thoughts on the lessons learned along the way and thought it might be helpful to share them at some point, now that this phase is coming to an end.

Aloha 8)