Kendale's Studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

sharward

Post by sharward »

Awesome! 8) Got pics? :roll:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
andy_eade

Post by andy_eade »

Aloha Kendale,

I'm starting to think about and plan the third phase of my studio which would include some kind of cloud above the mix position. Having been an avid follower of your thread and having taken particular interest in your cloud creation - I have a couple of questions for you I'm hoping you may be able to help with.

1) What kind of lamps did you use in the cloud? How much heat do they put out? any concerns or lessons learned there? Reason I ask is that I was disussing what you had done with my electrician, and explained that was why we pulled romex through above the mix position. He was worried about the fire risk depending on what kind of lighting I would use.

2) I know you originally were asking whether to have this at an angle rather than paralell with the floor. Steve suggested going with option 2 because of your vaulted ceiling in there, but in my case I do not have vaulted ceilings, so would I benefit from hanging a cloud on angle do you think?

Again, as I have mentioned before I have been truly impressed with your project and the pics of your cloud and studio have been a real inspiration to me on my project - particularly on the tough days - so thank you!

All the best!

Andy
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger... still, wear a hard-hat just in case!

http://www.andreweade.com
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Andy,
1) What kind of lamps did you use in the cloud? How much heat do they put out? any concerns or lessons learned there? Reason I ask is that I was disussing what you had done with my electrician, and explained that was why we pulled romex through above the mix position. He was worried about the fire risk depending on what kind of lighting I would use.
I used (4) 3" 50 watt bulbs in Emerald brand recessed lighting fixtures, with about 3" of clear space around each of the fixtures and open air above. Since they are hooked up to a Lutron DVW-600PH-WH 600w Single Pole with radio frequency interference suppression circuitry dimmer, and are very rarely on full, I haven't had much heat bulding up.
2) I know you originally were asking whether to have this at an angle rather than paralell with the floor. Steve suggested going with option 2 because of your vaulted ceiling in there, but in my case I do not have vaulted ceilings, so would I benefit from hanging a cloud on angle do you think?
I have seen both approaches in studying pictures of professionally designed control rooms, and have had great results with Steve's direction. What comes to mind at this point in time is - it may depend on how deep your cloud is/how much headroom you have to work with and what other treatments you have planned for your room.

A bit inconclusive perhaps, but I hope this helps.

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
Stizz

Post by Stizz »

very nice! I am hoping to start planning my move to Puna in the near future, and it looks like I have found this forum with perfect timing! From what I can tell, it looks like you are on the Kohala coast of the BI. Now you all have gotten me revved up to get to work for real with my architect (who is fantastic, but knows nothing about studios)
Thanks for sharing!
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Steve,

Thanks for dropping by, and welcome to the Big Island!

Looks like you've done alright yourself, eh? :wink: Nice websites.

Keep in touch,

Aloha 8)
kendale

Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

Post by kendale »

Aloha all!

Here's wishing you all a very Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou from Hawaii!

Aloha 8)
ADDA

Post by ADDA »

Kendale, that is just the most wonderful craftsmanship, I am indeed so very impressed and inspired (And Envious at your growing Tool Collection, all that machinery certainly is not wasted on you talent, Studio or Postings,) Thank you so much for showing the way to a bunch of newbies such as myself about to undertake a jump into the deep end.

Much Respect &
Sincere props at your Studio to be;
Best,
Jazz
ADDAjavascript:emoticon('8)')
ADDA

Post by ADDA »

Kendale........ You are the "Bomb" ...... That Room looks just like the coolest place to work, I/We are indeed impressed with all the work and the Pic/Sticky's .......... Serious work Kendale...... And Serious reward.....!

I do hope you get what you deserve in terms of clients and long bookings.
By the By Kendale..... May I ask is your desk a Amek or Neotek?
Aloha and well done
Jazz
ADDA
javascript:emoticon(':)')
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the ride. The room is much easier to work in thanks to John, Steve (knightfly), Aaron, Rod and all those that have shared their experience, direction and studio builds. While it may take awhile to read through and absorb the vast amount of information shared on this site, it is well worth the effort.
May I ask is your desk a Amek or Neotek?
While it's served me well for where I'm at and what I've been able to do, I'm afraid it's neither of those, nor is it anywhere near that level of equipment. It is a Soundcraft Ghost 32 w/CPU - http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet ... duct_id=27
housed in an Argosy console. - http://www.argosyconsole.com/argosy_sou ... ghost.html

Best of success in your studio build. Be sure to post pics and story along the way.

Aloha 8)
ADDA

Post by ADDA »

Thank you for that Kendale, I have indeed used the Ghost in the past and they are a nice sounding Board, nice metering, and Auto w/ Midi & I'm pretty sure these days unless your running a thousand tracks in Post you certainly don't need more the 8 Busses. Those Ghost Consoles Sound Great.... Take it as a Compliment I thought you had a 32 Channel Neotek bunched in their, that is the Standard of your room!

Kendale I would not have known inside that "Slick Argosy Console Case" was a Soundcraft Ghost, Indeed your whole posting on the forum and The Control Room that you have built are simply spectacular ..... I am blown away! Being a Newbie & all this has been such a revelation, more so on seeing in practice then reading Acoustics 101 - to 10,001.

I was sorry to hear those Earthquakes caused so much hassle in Hawaii, these are not the Famous "Boxing Day" Quakes are they or the year long aftershocks? On the Flip side Kendale is their still a Studio called Maui Traxx (Sic) Possibly?

I'm sure we are all very thankful you & yours including the house & Studio were not to badly affected aside from the extra quake work required. Kendale.... many thanks & serious respect for the learning gained.
Jazz
ADDA javascript:emoticon(':D')
huk0rz

Re: Kendale's Studio

Post by huk0rz »

Ive readed full post 2 mins ago and ive got to say..

KENDALE RULES
Ro

Post by Ro »

I consider that SPAM :mrgreen:

Neh, ye right. KENDALE FOR PRESIDENT!!
severecritic

Post by severecritic »

hai kendale
i saw your photos your studio is nice
if you wish i am ready to share
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha everyone,

Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year) to everyone here at RSD!

Just recently finished up a full year of 7 days/wk of work. Whew, not something I'd care to do again. :shock:

But, on a much happier note, Mrs Kendale surprised me with Logic Pro 9 and a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile interface.

It looks like I'll be making the switch to being "in the box" this coming new year. Yes!!! :mrgreen:

Be safe and celebrate responsibly!

Aloha 8)
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

cheers! congrats on the new tools! feel ya on the work week... did that for 2 1/2 years...
Glenn