Kendale's Studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

sharward

Post by sharward »

Do you have photos of the garage, before and after? Did any vehicles sustain damage from falling objects?

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to walk through this thing with us.

Fortunately, both vehicles happened to be out of the garage at the time. :D Unfortunately, we didn't take any pics before/after. Oh, well... :roll:

We'll see what happens next once the contractor calls back.

Aloha 8)
sharward

Post by sharward »

Heh -- both cars are usually inside our garage, so we wouldn't have fared that well! :lol:

It's funny how I'm probably one of three or four houses on my street that actually has room for two cars in it -- and about 1/3 of the houses have three car garages! :lol: It kind of irritates me because over half the cars parked in the street would be out of the way if people didn't have so much crap in their garages... :roll: ...Many with room for only one car in their garage also can't park in their driveway because they'd be blocking their path out of the garage. :evil:

Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine? :lol:

Hang in there, Kendale. "No rain, no rainbows." :)

And speaking of rainbows, here's a pretty one I snapped while in "upcountry" Maui in April while having breakfast at Kula Lodge...

Click for larger 1280x960 image

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all, and to all a goodnight!

Aloha 8)
lowdbrent

Post by lowdbrent »

I wonder if the OP has measured the room now that he has soffit mounted those Mackies. Those Mackies were no designed to be soffit mounted, because of the rear firing passive radiator. Mackie has never recommended it either.

Just curious.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha lowdbrent,

No, I have not measured the room yet. Still working on earthquake mitigation and getting ready for the in-laws holiday visit.

FWIW, while it is true that Mackie does not recommend soffit mounting, I will say this though; they definitely sound better than not soffitted.:D

- mixdowns have been so much easier
- mixdowns are considerably less fatigue than before
- mixes transfer room to room much closer than before

Actual mileage may vary depending on room acoustics, construction and treatments. :wink:

There are also several others here that have also soffitted their Mackies with similar results and have thoroughly enjoyed the improvements to their studios as well.

Given the option of soffit or not, and having heard and worked with both, I would definitely choose soffitting.

Aloha 8)
Last edited by kendale on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lowdbrent

Post by lowdbrent »

Did you put hangers in the cavity or pack it with insulation?

Is there SBA assistance for earthquake victims?

I would take an earthquake over in-law visits anyday.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,
Did you put hangers in the cavity or pack it with insulation?
I had initially planned on following John's soffit diagram, but somehow along the way ended up just lining the cavity with rockwool.
Is there SBA assistance for earthquake victims?
Yes, we were offered to apply for a SBA loan, but opted not to.
I would take an earthquake over in-law visits anyday.
It's funny how most people would say that, but in truth, the in-laws are great; it's my family that I'd be worried about. :shock:

Aloha 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas) to all, and to all a goodnight!

Aloha 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Here's wishing y'all a safe and Happy New Year celebration!

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou! :D

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
Bass Rocks

Post by Bass Rocks »

No other posts between Christmas and New Years? Clearly, you need to post more pictures. :wink:

Happy New Year, Kendale and all. I made it through the first night, with ten 16-year-old and three 8-year-old girls partying at our house. That's my first big accomplishment for the year.

Aloha,
Andy
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Andy,

And a Happy New Year to you and yours!
No other posts between Christmas and New Years? Clearly, you need to post more pictures.
Mrs kendale's family from Minnesota were spending the Christmas Holiday with us. It was the first Christmas together in 15 years for all of them and their kids. They spent most of the week sightseeing the island. I, on the other hand, had to work, and so missed out on the fun. :roll:

I have been posting lots of pics...but on the design forum. :wink:
I made it through the first night, with ten 16-year-old and three 8-year-old girls partying at our house. That's my first big accomplishment for the year.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Sounds like they had fun :P BTW, how many of those are yours? :wink:

Aloha 8)
Bass Rocks

Post by Bass Rocks »

kendale wrote:
I made it through the first night, with ten 16-year-old and three 8-year-old girls partying at our house. That's my first big accomplishment for the year.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Sounds like they had fun :P BTW, how many of those are yours? :wink:

Aloha 8)
Just two daughters -- one 15 and one 9 (I averaged the ages of their guests). I'm still recovering. :lol:

Aloha!
jdf

Post by jdf »

Aloha Kendale,

I just wanted to know how you like your Mackies soffit mounted. Have you had and issues with them overheating?

Thanks

jdf
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha jdf,
I just wanted to know how you like your Mackies soffit mounted. Have you had and issues with them overheating?
Compared to what they sounded like before soffiting, you could almost say that I love it! (What I would love is a pair each of: Dynaudio Air 6's or 15's, Klein + Hummel 0300D's, Genelec 8040 monitors/7060A sub :wink:)

- bottom end is tighter
- imaging is clearer
- drums sound clearer, more defined in mixes
- able to hear clearer at lower volumes than before
- room sounds quieter without music playing, louder & tighter with less effort when music played
- less fatigue/more enjoyment in listening to mixes!
- mixdowns have been so much easier
- mixdowns with considerably less fatigue than before
- mixes transfer room to room much closer than before

I have had ZERO problems with them overheating, even after several all day/night sessions. I will mention that the rear of the speakers are not enclosed in a box, and they have lots of air circulation.

While it is true that Mackie does not recommend soffit mounting, I will say this though; they definitely sound better than not soffitted. There are also several others here that have also soffitted their Mackies with similar results and have thoroughly enjoyed the improvements to their studios as well.

Given the option of soffit or not, and having heard and worked with both, I would definitely choose soffitting.

Aloha 8)