Kendale's Studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

NL5

Post by NL5 »

Kendale -

I have a question for you. I rather like your idea of "modular" and removable CR treatments. I plan to do something somewhat similiar. My question is, are the soffit bass traps fully enclosed (except the front)? If so, why did you choose to do that?

Thanks a ton!

Gunnar

edit - BTW - I really like what you've done! It has really inspired me. Thank you!
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Gunnar,

Hey, glad you found the project helpful.:wink:
I have a question for you. I rather like your idea of "modular" and removable CR treatments. I plan to do something somewhat similiar. My question is, are the soffit bass traps fully enclosed (except the front)? If so, why did you choose to do that?
Yes, the soffit wall is fully enclosed: top, bottom, back & sides. In fact, each section - left soffit, center section, and right soffit - was planned, built, and fully enclosed individually, and then screwed and caulked together. Makes for pretty solid unit. :shock:

Why? Several reasons, actually. For easing the initial capital outlays, visualizing the design, construction phases, and for being the least invasive to the existing interior area, it was planned out and then built in sections. And truth be known, partly because of my ignorance of the design and how it actually works. :oops: :lol: :roll:

This was the first time I had attempted anything like this. I had spent about a year studying, designing and re-designing the treatments as I began to learn some of the principles involved. I also had to hire out some of the cutting of the sheet goods because at that time, I did not own a table saw or circular saw with guide rails. This also added to the cost of the project. But hey, it works, looks and sounds great! :D

Looking forward to pics of your project!

Hope this helps,

Aloha 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Help! I've fallen off the first page and I can't get up! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I've been busy finishing up a nine month CD project, and haven't done much work on the studio other than a few cable repairs.

Had a couple of friends over to check out the studio. He brought over a pretty wide range of stuff to listen to, everything from DJ Tiesto to John Williams to Qunicy Jones. They were really impressed with the sound stage and the level of pure listening enjoyment they experienced. Pretty cool.

Oh yeah, got a few more tools for the wish list, Keith. :wink:

The name Festool is unfamiliar to most U.S. woodworkers, but the company is well-known in Europe where it has been in the power-tool business for about 70 years.

Aloha 8)
Last edited by kendale on Fri May 26, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Spendy stuff; IIRC, just the jig saw runs around $280 :? Still, it's OK to drool, as long as you don't do it while the power's plugged in :lol:
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
AndreasB

Post by AndreasB »

If there's any brand of tools that I can recommend it's FESTOOL! I've been working with their tools for a couple of years and there's none that compare in quality, sturdiness and the actual lifetime of the tools is just amazing.

for example, when fastening gypsum to a ceiling/wall there's a special feature that make sure you don't brake the outer layer of the gypsum AND it gets perfect every single time, it's definitely worth the extra $$.

best

andreas
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Steve,

Hey, it's good to hear from you. Spendy? Well, yes; but still cheaper than a room at the Four Seasons Resort. :wink:

I picked up the TS 55 EQ Circular Saw and Multi Function Table. The difference in the time it takes to set up a cut is amazing. What was taking me 15 minutes to set up and cut a panel on the table saw is now taking only 5. And the soft start feature is really comfortable and easy to get used to. Wish I had this thing at the beginning of the project! I am hoping to pick up the dust extractor and Random Orbit 150 E sander next.

Here's hoping (and drooling!)

Aloha 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha again,

Hey, I just noticed we've reached 20k+ views. 8) Thanks guys! :D

Aloha 8)
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

taa-taaa!

you're welcome :roll:

aloha
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Small update: The first CD Project in the "new and improved" studio is a wrap. The client was extremely happy with how the mixes transferred to his car, home and shop systems.

Again, many thanks to John, Steve and the rest of y'all who have contributed, encouraged and followed the project.

Aloha 8)
sharward

Post by sharward »

Ahhhh, when the rubber meets the road...................... 8)
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
camistan

Post by camistan »

Hey, that's great to hear Kendale! That's really a MAJOR achievment. Most of us that have had studios with no thought of acoustical treatments know what it's like to have that "mix" slammin' in the studio, but when you play it in your car or on "someone else's" system, it just doesn't have the same "punch". (Escpecially when you stick a different (pre-manufactured) CD in right after yours)

Thing I ALWAYS hated doing was the ol'..."Well, uh, it's not quite finished yet...I have to go back and blah blah blah blah"... Excuses excuses!...I've always felt unless it's someone that understands the recording process, when you hand a CD over to someone to listen to, the CD should speak for itself. No "Introduction excuses" are needed. Hopefully as we all get to finish our studios the "right way", we can have confidence like you Kendale and excuses will be a thing of the past.

*Clarification* This DOES take into consideration a mix that has NOT been mastered, HOWEVER, in my opinion the mix should still be "close".

Congrats on your hard-well-earned work that paid off !
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
philboyeee

Post by philboyeee »

you have one thing i was wondering about. i notice the cabinets to the left , behing the mixing board. i need to have some storage cabinets also (a compromise with the Mrs. to be able to build a studio). any problems they have caused, or anything i should look for when building them?
kendale

Post by kendale »

you have one thing i was wondering about. i notice the cabinets to the left , behing the mixing board. i need to have some storage cabinets also (a compromise with the Mrs. to be able to build a studio). any problems they have caused, or anything i should look for when building them?
Aloha phil,

Thanks for asking. Here's a complilation of some of the advice Steve (Knightfly) suggested way back when it all started: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=#15598
The glass in front and behind should be causing you all sorts of flutter echo -

Monitors should NOT sit on the console but behind, placed on heavy decoupled stands - console placement causes early reflection problems in most cases, unless the console is slanted down in front a LOT.

Distance to wall behind speakers will change response drastically - there is a wall bounce calculator on the Acoustics forum that's fun to play with (needs Excel)

Moving either speakers or your head by as little as an inch or two can sometimes make drastic changes in response, due to modal peaks and dips...

42" stands are almost perfectly WRONG for your application - that would put the centers of your woofers almost exactly at HALF your ceiling height when close to the wall, which would cause a fairly deep null in response at around 70 and 212 hZ, and peaks at around 140 and 280 hZ. If you pulled the speaker location away from the wall enough, you could get them out of that dead center vertical location -

Although you didn't mention which way the ceiling slopes - I'm hoping it's up to your rear as you face the speakers?

IN the pic, those two light areas on either side of the console - are those from lights, or is there a door on one side? Those two corners should have some corner traps as one of the first things you do.

Here's a page with some DIY ideas on traps, and their suggested locations within a rectangular room -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm

Room height for the calculator should be taken at the speaker location -

Left/right room symmetry (at least within a foot or two of ear height) is important for good stereo imaging, and that glass-faced cabinet can't be helping - if there is any way to move it more to your rear...

For your application, a movable panel about 4" thick would help the wall unit "disappear" acoustically - it could be moved against a wall somewhere when not in use. Same for the front wall (behind the speakers) - and again behind you, if that's a glass surface.
You can find a pic of the cabinet absorber about two thirds the way down the page here:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... &start=180

Hope this helps,

Aloha 8)
philboyeee

Post by philboyeee »

it looks like it's going to help alot! i'll let you know ....thanks!
kendale

Post by kendale »

Earthquake update:

As some of you may have heard, Hawaii got hit with a series of earthquakes/aftershocks on Sunday October 15, 2006.

The first one hit at 7:07am and registered 6.7 on the Richter Scale, followed 7 minutes later by a large after shock of 6.0. There have been over 50 smaller quakes/tremors since then, and more continuing on today.

As best as I can tell, our home is okay. There are some new stress marks and cracked drywall and eaves, we lost about half of our everyday glassware, and just about all of our artwork came down. But the post/pier/pilings look okay and there doesnʼt seem to be any visible signs of damage to the structure. We are planning on having someone inspect the structure as soon as they are available.

The studio managed to ride out the worst of it fairly well, although the 200 lb+ mixer/console slid around a little.

Unfortunately, there are others on the island that havenʼt fared as well, with some considerable structural damage occurring, with a couple of homes burning down due to gas leaks.

The quake knocked out power all across the state. We got our power back in about 4 hours, but some are still waiting for service to resume and stabilize.

There's a few pix and stories here: http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/index.html
and here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rec ... 52_eqs.php

So at the moment, things have settled down a bit and weʼll see what other damage might reveal itself in the next few days.

Rockin' & rollin' Hawaiian style :shock:

Aloha 8)
Last edited by kendale on Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.