Kendale's Studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

kendale

Kendale's Studio

Post by kendale »

(Moved from Design Forum) http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=#15598

Aloha!

Well, it's been (quite!) awhile, but I finally found a Roxul distributor in Hawaii.

So it's on the next phase; but first a couple two or three questions, please...

For the acoustic hangers in the front soffits: do we use the RHT 40 stuff or the AFB stuff?

For the center section (front wall absorber): do we use the RHT 40 stuff or the AFB stuff?

And finally, for the side walls: do we use the RHT 40 stuff or the AFB stuff?

Mahalo & Aloha!

Here's a shot of where we started from and where we left off last time...
Last edited by kendale on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:38 am, edited 9 times in total.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Anyone? :lol:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Aloha back atcha; sorry, but I've been pretty buried with paying projects lately - hope to get caught up here in the next 2-3 days, please have patience... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
kendale

Post by kendale »

Hey Steve,

No worries! Good to hear from you!

Belated congrats on the staff meeting and the favorable response.

Add me to the list of "Good Luck" wishers.

Aloha,

kendale
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Thanks man, it's still looking pretty good for that scene, crossing fingers, eyes, toes, etc...

Why the RHT series; does that just happen to be what you can get, or did you think you needed a high temp application for some reason?

BAsically, the AFB's are what you want for most places - if you can even GET the "fluffy stuff" over there, that will work for any hangers within walls; just cut boards as large as your space allows, wrap with 3 or 4" fluffy insulation, fasten it onto the board with staples/duct tape, etc, and hang them in the spaces in a "herringbone" pattern (like this) /// \\\ and close enough so the insulation (but not the boards) touch each other.

If you can't get "fluffy stuff" (regular fiberglass batt insulation) you can use the AFB's, it's just usually more costly and not much difference. I'd line the cavities first with the AFB product - wherever you found it may have "impaling clips", if so get some; it's the easiest way to mount this stuff where it won't be contained within a wall... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
kendale

Post by kendale »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply and some direction.

The reason for the RHT stuff was in reference to some reading done somewhere during the last year where it was mentioned in a construction thread. Not being familiar with any of this stuff led to a misunderstanding of what I needed for the project. Thanks for clearing that up. The only high temperatures I want to deal with is hanging out at the beach. 8)

Time to make a few more phone calls.

Thanks again!
kendale

Update: Rockwool Ordered

Post by kendale »

Update on acoustic treatment project. Very slow, but hey, it's coming along...really!

Found a source for insulation and then found some cash...got the rock wool ordered today. ETA 3-4 weeks.

Added rubber pad to monitor stand. Its a small, but definite improvement in low end response. Its kinda neat to see the changes happen with each step.

A friend of mine had these rubber strips on his tractor trailer. I asked him where he found them and he said it came from a heavy duty conveyor belt. He gave me a 4' x 16" long strip and they seem to work great.

Aloha!
Last edited by kendale on Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kendale

Bezel Test

Post by kendale »

While waiting for rockwool to arrive I figured I'd get the bezels cut and test them out. Mahalo to Jerry Mattison for all of your help in refining the design and cutting the panels!

Wow! :shock: Even without the rockwool to absorb the extraneous bass, the difference they make is immediately apparent.

The soundstage is more focused, and the room sounds louder with less effort/volume.

I plan to start assembling framing for the center section and lower half of soffits next and ordering fabric.

ETA on rockwool:next week! 8)
Last edited by kendale on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pennywizz6

Post by Pennywizz6 »

Looks great! You have a very nice looking setup. Except i think a larger monitor is in store, perhaps one that will fill up all the space ;)

Fill
sharward

Post by sharward »

I was thinking the same thing! :lol:
kendale

Post by kendale »

Thanks guys!

I agree.

I was considering either (2) Dell Ultra Sharp 2405FPW 24 inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitors, or (1) Panasonic TH 42PX500U 42" Diagonal Plasma HDTV with Built-In ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners and Split Screen P-I-P Displays or the Sony 40" BRAVIA™ XBR® LCD Flat Panel HDTVKDL-V40XBR1.

Any other suggestions (monitors) to check out?

Aloha 8)
sharward

Post by sharward »

I was thinking the same thing! :lol:
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Looking good. reminds me of when I got to that point and set up just to hear a diff.......

Of course I laid my mackie sideways (just a choice difference)

Have fun :)
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
Pennywizz6

Post by Pennywizz6 »

I think those monitor choices (computer monitors) are pretty awesome. Get an awesome video card, the huge 42 inch, huge pixel ratio and you will be a happy man, and i will be one jealous kid :wink:

Fill
kendale

Post by kendale »

Got absorber framing done. Cloth covering to be ordered next.
Still waiting on rockwool arrival :? (will remove clock when rockwool installed) :!:
Next up, Side Absorbers 8)