Kendale's Studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

JohnGardner

Post by JohnGardner »

Gotta love that Kia Ora!!
Have you been done to our fare shores?
Thanks
JohnG
sharward

Post by sharward »

kendale wrote:I believe much of the credit goes to having so many other studio build examples to study and the plans and direction from both John and Steve. :D
And you can't discount the fact that you know you'll be taking pictures of your work, so it had better look great or you'll be teased around here! ;-)
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha John,

Actually, no...I haven't...yet. :( But I do have a couple of friends who just got back after a year or two there and they sent a lot of pics. Absolutely beautiful! One was a musician buddy who was based out of Auckland for two years and spent his time there living on a 40' sailboat as a charter captain and touring the area. The other was a best friend/sister who served as chief steward on the Marine Outreach medical ship that provided supplies and care to the remote villages and towns in Fiji.
And you can't discount the fact that you know you'll be taking pictures of your work, so it had better look great or you'll be teased around here!
Hey Keith,
Hmm, now that you mention it, I guess I had better start paying more attention to how these things get built as well the best angle for taking the pics to be posted to make sure the flaws are minimized, huh? :wink:

There must some of my grandfather's latent woodworker's genes and/or childhood flashback at work here or something. My wife says there is this look of childish enjoyment that comes over me when I'm out in the shop "playing with my wooden building blocks." :lol:

Aloha 8)
sharward

Post by sharward »

I'm sure it's a lot more fun than digging in sticky clay! :lol:
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Keith,

I seem to remember doing quite a bit of "playing in the dirt" as well. :wink:

Wow! :shock: It just occurred to me just how far we've come since the first post back in August of 2004.

Mahalo for all the help!

Aloha 8)
Last edited by kendale on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Yikes! :shock: Talk about flashbacks...here's a couple really early shots of the studio.

You've come a long way, baby! :D

Aloha 8)
len-morgan

Post by len-morgan »

Kendale,

It may be an optical illusion but are all the gaps on your side absorbers the same width? If I understand the design principals, both the widths of the boards AND the gaps should vary.

len
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Len,

Wow, great eye! :shock: No, it's not an illusion, they are/were evenly spaced.

The pic was only a "rough frame up" as indicated in my post. I wanted to get a general idea of what the absorbers were going to look like. I have since taken the slats off, installed the material that goes behind them, and am now in process of re-installing the slats with the varying degrees of spacing.

I am also working on the bass hangers for the front absorber. Hopefully, I'll have some pics to follow soon.

I am begining to appreciate how long of a process (a year and a half now) guys like AaronW (2 years) and others have been going through as they build and document their studio projects here on the forum. Thanks for the example and encouragement guys!

Aloha 8)
Last edited by kendale on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
len-morgan

Post by len-morgan »

kendale wrote:Wow, great eye! :Shocked No, it's not an illusion, they are/were evenly spaced
No, just too much time on my hands today and an overly critical nature. :-)
kendale wrote:I am also working on the bass hangers for the front absorber. Hopefully, I'll have some pics to follow soon.
Well then maybe you can answer a question that I asked in the Accoustics part of this forum and it's layed there ever since: I've got a "closet" or "alcove" at the back end of my control room that runs floor to ceiling and is about 3' wide. This was to be for bass hangers. The question I asked was how important is the length of the hangers? I've seen many that very long and all the same size and just as many that were varied lengths. The reason I ask is the lower part of this alcove would make a very nice cabinet for microphones, patch cables, etc and I could put the bass hangers above but I'd have to make them shorter. What is the minimum length to be effective?
kendale wrote:I am begining to appreciate how long of a process (a year and a half now)guys like AaronW (2 years) and others have been going through as they build and document their studio projects here on the forum
You are SO right. I feel fortunate to have gotten two layers of drywall up and all the framing, HVAC, mic cables, etc in only 2 1/2 months of evenings!

len
sharward

Post by sharward »

Len, I can only hope you're watching my back as closely when I start assembling real building materials in my project! You rule! 8)
kendale

Post by kendale »

how important is the length of the hangers?
Aloha Len,

While I am unable to backup any of the following with hard data, here's a few observations:

In studying the drawings over at the SAE site: http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html and photos and info posted here, there and anywhere else I found them, it appears that:

- the length of the hangers were determined by how much space they had available (height, width and depth of the trap)

- the effectiveness of the hangers were determined by how many/how long/how insulated/how they were oriented within the trap.

- the frequency the traps attenuated at was determined more by the space of the trap (again: height, width and depth) rather than the hangers themselves

Again, I'm just hazarding a few guesses here and I certainly am no expert in this game. We'll find out how successful those guesses were after I get mine installed. BTW, the hangers I'm installing are 1' x 2'. We'll see how many I can get in there using a /// \\\ "herringbone" type of orientation as Steve suggested.

Which brings to mind, Steve (Knightfly) posted an interesting drawing and explanation here: http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 5963#35963 that might help shed a little more light on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Aloha 8)
Last edited by kendale on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
len-morgan

Post by len-morgan »

sharward wrote:Len, I can only hope you're watching my back as closely when I start assembling real building materials in my project! You rule!
You KNOW I'll be watching your back! Just make sure it's not your backside (a la Paul Woodlock). :-)

len
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Here's a couple of shots of the front absorber/bass hangers install. This completes the front wall/soffit/absorber/bass trap portion except for the bezel veneers (hopefully!). :D

Aloha 8)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Len, sorry for any of your posts I missed; between Barefoot being AWOL and me covering most of the forums while trying to produce videos, design my new studio, pretend to work on "honey-do" lists, etc, it gets kinda hectic...

If you can post link(s) to anything you still need help on, I'll do what I can... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
sharward

Post by sharward »

len-morgan wrote:You KNOW I'll be watching your back! Just make sure it's not your backside (a la Paul Woodlock). :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: No worries, mate! :lol: :lol: :lol: