Who, in your opinion, makes the best ribbon mics?

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

lex

Who, in your opinion, makes the best ribbon mics?

Post by lex »

Who, in your opinion, would you say makes the best ribbon mics?
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

I hope you are joking.

Who makes the best rose coloured glasses? First you have to agree that non truthfull glasses are good, second that rose is a colour that is good to colour with. Third that is a best amount of pink. :)

Having said all that, Royer is in the running, as is Coles and AEA. The order is going from least to most coloured.

Andre
lex

Post by lex »

Ok, thanks for your opinion.

I expected an answer like that, that's why I said 'in your opinion'.

Here, I'll try to rephrase. From your experience, what do you like or dislike about certain ribbon mics? Better?

I don't have a ribbon mic, nor have I ever used one. This is just to satisfy my curiousity. I may buy one some day when I have money. :P
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

From your experience, what do you like or dislike about certain ribbon mics?
Nothign on the whole. It is like an Apple or IBm computer. IT depends on what you want to do. Some people ( not me) find the low sensitivity a problem or don't understand it.

Andre
lex

Post by lex »

I heard it sounds good on acoustic guitar and acoustic instruments in general. I was wondering if someone could get more specific on this... what exactly makes them sound so good. What have you tried it on, how does the sound differ from a condenser? Things like this...

If I bought one, I would use it as a primary for guitar, violin, flutes, etc.

Is it a crispness, a warmth, a full rounded sound, presence...?
Govinda

Post by Govinda »

lex, ribbon mics arent exactly crisp and they arent exactly dull...think the difference between an sm 58 and a large condensor mic...the ribbon is different again.. in its own league!
royers are very open compared to some of the coles etc, cheaper ones can tend to be round and dull compared to condensors.... the proximity effect is very different to any other mic... certain brands like royer can be put very close and not boom as much as condensors etc...
hope this has helped.
G
D3lta

Post by D3lta »

Royer probably has the flattest, or most accurate sounding mics. Coles and AEA also make ribbon mics, but I they need a little EQ. Also, I feel ribbon mics are usually best suited for close micing for insturments like drums, or amp micing because of their high SPL