Rehearsal Speakers?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

mks

Rehearsal Speakers?

Post by mks »

As usual, I'm on a limited budget. We have a decent studio in a 12 x 12 room. This is not only our studio but our rehearsal space for myself (edrums), guitarist and bassist. I tried using my PA speakers but they sounded poor overall.

I briefly pumped us through our Alesis studio monitors and it sounded great but the speakers probably wouldn't last without blowing. With a budget of $1000, what kind of speakers could I buy that would have the quality of studio monitors and the ability to handle the power of a PA?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sword9

Post by Sword9 »

you want either far-fields or really good "PA" speakers. Neither of which you'll get for $1k probably. What sort of speakers do you have now for your reinforcement system? Upgrading those would probably help.
SaM Harrison
Location Engineers
Nashville, TN
Chippy569

Post by Chippy569 »

for a practice space? you need nothing more than floor monitors. hell you can probably fab 'em yourself, if you know how. if not,... i dunno. keyboard amps will do the job for you, but if you don't have extra PA amplifiers lying around they'll work.
I just bought a pair of SoundMaster floor monitors off the 'bay for my practice space, they work excellently... the guitar amps are loud enough, as are my acoustic drums, so just amping the vocals was necessary. and for that, we don't have an audience (it's a practice space, come on) so monitors work great. i got 15" monitors (they're pretty big, actually) and have one in front of the "stage" and one behind the drumkit. You'll want bigger speakers for the e-drums (gotta love bass... :D).
actually, I think my practice space is pretttty well done now :)