A possible Design for the studio

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

danaudio

A possible Design for the studio

Post by danaudio »

After...many many many.....long hours of thinking, I have decided to build my studio in my home state of connecticut. It is a gorgeous place, and deserves a good studio.

Plus...the price differences will allow me to build a much better studio. Much

I have listed my studio design below. Please edit/comment/etc
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

that's an interesting design danaudio- are yougoing to siffit mount your mains?? what about access from the main control room to the studio??

Do you have any measurements so we can get an idea of the sizes here - BTW I had to resize your picture - when in smartdraw go to File/export and you can set the picture size when you export as jpeg. A 3099 x 2950 pixels is a very large picture to post - especially for those with dialup ;)

cheers
john
danaudio

Post by danaudio »

I do want to soffit mount mains. I also want to give to access to the main room through iso 2...via a double door design.

The overall dimensions are 2000 square feet....44 accross 44 down. The studio should be roughly 24x20, and the control room is an 18x18 square with the obvious revisions in place...non paralell walls etc...

Any ideas? suggestions?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

yeah - this is a pretty big facility with two studios etc. Hardy possible to design it on a forum :):)

cheers
john
danaudio

Post by danaudio »

well...thanks anyways.

-Dan
matucha

Post by matucha »

and what about those doors to soundlock and mashine room? looks pretty useless...
danaudio

Post by danaudio »

what do you mean? What makes them useless?

Please explain...
laptoppop

Post by laptoppop »

Well, if you want comments from a guy whose building his studio into a bedroom... ;)

1) Seems like your design is taking a lot of space with hallways. Anyway to cut that down and free up space?

2) Do you really need two lesson rooms? Can you combine them to free up some space?

3) I'd expect the second control room to be a great place for final mixing/mastering with limited overdubs. But -- to do that, you'd have to make it a fair bit larger. Right now, it seems like the size would limit it to overdubs/voice work only. Personally, I'd make it bigger and more flexible.

4) You might want to shape one of the two control rooms to handle surround sound mixing eventually - just in case.

5) In general, I like the flow of your rooms. I would think you need to reserve a few feet here and there for resonators and other sound treatments. BUT -- I'm NOT the person to really ask on that.

6) 4 iso booths off of studio A seems like a luxury that might not get used too much. But then again, you've got the space... (Yes, I AM jealous! ;) )

7) Building this big of a facility is going to be very expensive. Suggestion - buy some of John's phone time. (details are on his main page) A couple of hours consulting now might save you HUGE money later and keep you from going in a direction that would be hard to back out of.

8) You've got a pretty darn big flat wall directly behind you in control room A. I would expect the echos would kill you unless you treat it pretty heavily. Its also parallel with the glass in front. Control room B has the same problem, only more so because of the small size. My little bedroom studio (plans are available in the under construction area on John's site) is 10' wide by 16.5 feet long. I'm putting 4" thick rigid fiberglass insulation (OC 703) 4" away from the rear wall for this exact reason.

9) Questions: How high is your ceiling? What kind of equipment are you putting in? What's your budget? What will it be used for primarily? What kind of floors? Will you be floating the floors or the walls?

Please forgive the lengthy post - I'm having fun here thinking about such a nice big facility ;)

-lee-
danaudio

Post by danaudio »

Well, if you want comments from a guy whose building his studio into a bedroom...

1) Seems like your design is taking a lot of space with hallways. Anyway to cut that down and free up space?

Re: I agree, but have not been able to think of too many resolutions. I want the one hall way to be large for equipment load ins...

2) Do you really need two lesson rooms? Can you combine them to free up some space?

Yes...i see renting out space for lessons as a large source of income. I was hoping to get in 3, but is likely to not happen. I have considered converting studio B in to a lesson space, but it would not be ideal because I plan to use it as an office/mix room/ personal production space, as well as a commercial voice over space.

3) I'd expect the second control room to be a great place for final mixing/mastering with limited overdubs. But -- to do that, you'd have to make it a fair bit larger. Right now, it seems like the size would limit it to overdubs/voice work only. Personally, I'd make it bigger and more flexible.

I agree...if i could get the money to do so....i will. Studio B is sort of a pipe dream...it may never happen and end up being a large closet. It all depends on how my budget looks by the end.

4) You might want to shape one of the two control rooms to handle surround sound mixing eventually - just in case.

I also agree. The drawing i have posted has been updated pretty drastically, but I have not changed it recently because it still gives the overall idea. I have a new drawing with acoustics, floor floating, and double walls more clearly labeled.

5) In general, I like the flow of your rooms. I would think you need to reserve a few feet here and there for resonators and other sound treatments. BUT -- I'm NOT the person to really ask on that.

agreed

6) 4 iso booths off of studio A seems like a luxury that might not get used too much. But then again, you've got the space... (Yes, I AM jealous! )

aha...now i typically use all 4 booths in my recordings. The sessions I typically do include recording large rock bands live. I like to be able to throw all of the amps in to isos so that If i want to go back later and overdub something I can do so easily. Since most of the work I do is demos, people usually want to get a solid product...fast. Having this degree will allow me to give them great results....quickly.

7) Building this big of a facility is going to be very expensive. Suggestion - buy some of John's phone time. (details are on his main page) A couple of hours consulting now might save you HUGE money later and keep you from going in a direction that would be hard to back out of.

I have considered doing so, but over the phone consulatation to a country that is in the opposite time code of me does not really appeal to me. I am a visual learner, and i think i am going to consult some local acousticians and some audio educated friends along the way. John`s knowledge seems to be never-ending, but it does not work well for me with the distance.

You've got a pretty darn big flat wall directly behind you in control room A. I would expect the echos would kill you unless you treat it pretty heavily. Its also parallel with the glass in front. Control room B has the same problem, only more so because of the small size. My little bedroom studio (plans are available in the under construction area on John's site) is 10' wide by 16.5 feet long. I'm putting 4" thick rigid fiberglass insulation (OC 703) 4" away from the rear wall for this exact reason.

Yes..i totally agree. the newer plans have the back wall creating sort of a triangle with hangers behind cloth. I really want to try and control bass...especially in the small control room.

9) Questions: How high is your ceiling? What kind of equipment are you putting in? What's your budget? What will it be used for primarily? What kind of floors? Will you be floating the floors or the walls?

Cieling is going to be roughly 12-14 feet. Equipment is going to be lower mid level stuff like a soundcraft ghost console, Nuendo, etc...

It will be primarily used as a local band demo/album studio. We also will draw commercial clients from our local area.

We will float the floors of the control room.

I would rather not discuss my budget online...but I understand your reasoning for asking.

Basically....I have recorded in many studios all accross boston and new york city, and have great results in all of them...but I have also recorded many smaller projects in my apartment with my nuendo system, a 300 dollar mic, and nothing for acoustics, and have still come up with great results.

The place is not going to be as extravagant as the picture makes it seem. There will be some decent gear, and some decent instruments...but I am bringing the only piece of gear i can rely on to work every morning...my ears.

I just want the big space to be able to accomodate largw groups. In my opnion there is nothing worse then having a 5 piece band with indie record label reps, and some other stragglers sitting around in a cramped control room.

I am buolding this place with ideas of comfort, and vibe being top priority.

Acoustics are important to me, but I have made more with less, and less with more....so...that being said..I am going to try and not get crazy with all of this acoustical stuff.

Great records are made by great people, not great studios.

Thanks for your interest. Please offer any suggestions or comments. You have been helpful in helping me determine what I need, and want.