Pro Tools or Logic ???

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Drumdrumdrumdrum

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum »

Well said/written 8)
lazzaroscorpio

Re: Pro Tools or Logic ???

Post by lazzaroscorpio »

CUBASE 8)
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

FYI, the retail mark -up on Pro-tools and digidesign products is SFA!!
That why most "ma and pa" music stores don't or can't stock there products.

i was taught pro-tools at college and have been using it for music, recording and film for 10years.
(on a mac of course :wink: )

To me LOGIC just isn't logical and I just can't shake the cheap beginner stigma that cubase has.
If I had the $$$ I'd go with 2in tape though :P

-Go with the standard, because nothing beats walking into any of the pro studio in town and pulling up your own mix with plug-ins instantly..... sweet as!!!

PROTOOLS!
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Am I still the only one around here who think that Samplitude runs rings around PT, while half asleep, and beats Logic to a pulp with one hand tied behind it's back?

Has anyone else actually tried Samplitude or Sequoia seriously? Has anyone else even HEARD of them?

For my money, nothing beats these two. Extremely intuitive interface, and a crystal clear sound like you never hear on PT. Not so great on MIDI features, but for audio they are really, really neat.

The only drawback is that they are not very well known, but I dare you to make a serious effort to try give them a spin, and that drawback will change pretty fast.

( ´xcuse the plug, but I couldn0t resist it, given the title of the thread! :) )

- Stuart -
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I've known about Samplitude for years, cubase runs rings around it for audio, midi and fidelity.
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

I thought Samplitude was only a protools plug in?
it's not a recording platform
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

samplitude was one of the early sequencer programs Deanne. It was always touted as having superior audio but I never accepted that even though many espoused it.

It's still around as a version 10.

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

Yeah I have the LE version 7 got it free with the protools bundle, runs as a "plug-in" that syncs with the session.
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
Ro

Post by Ro »

any Nuendo users here? (besides me)
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

me :thu:
Lord Tim

Post by Lord Tim »

I use it when I need to but I don't gel so much with the workflow of it, personally. Very VERY powerful, though, especially for scoring work.
jbassino

Post by jbassino »

Cubase 4 here

I hate PT
pootle roche

Post by pootle roche »

Hi,
interesting debate that i guess will never be concluded due to the nature of personal preferences.

I spent several weeks recently researching what software is on the market and spent some time looking at multitracks/midi sequencers.

I made an extensive spreadsheet database that documented them which I am just adding the last details to which I plan to upload to a file server for people to download.

Generally, in my experience of using daw/multitrack/midi sequencers.
I personally find PT better for live recording and audio editing.
Audio editing is quicker and more precise (zoom in and editing is amazing)
Having two main windows makes tracking pretty simple.
Life is made even more simpler if a decent control surface is also ultilized.
However, as with all digidesign hardware, these are really costly.

There are many other similar multitrackers on the market that give the user similar functionality, so I guess its all down to prefence and price these days.

The PT option used to be stronger when PT were the main platform to offer DSP hardware for the many plugins available, however, the dsp hardware market has changed considerably over the last few years and now there are loads of options for those who want to beef up their multitracker.

There are now some really good dsp products on the market made by many manufacturers including sonic core, TC elcectronics powercore, Universal Audio Designs UAD, SSL Duende, SawStudio (as mentioned earlier), waves and Focusrite (liquid Mix etc).

So. DSP is no longer PT's monopoly which i guess is good news for the consumer as he can get better value for money and can also use his favorite multitracker (if not PT).

As for composing, personally, I prefer to use logic, cubase or digital performer etc (cant afford the expensive ones), as the way these platforms allow the user to arrange is far more natutal and easy than in a multitrack environment.
Last edited by pootle roche on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
pootle roche

Post by pootle roche »

Presonus also make an interesting solution to tracking.
An application called "capture" that comes with their live mixer.
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=52
http://www.presonus.com/products/Softwa ... ftwareId=1

This type of solution may be suitable for those who wish a simpilar interface to track with.
As I imagine quiet a few people out their who are from the old school or who are more instrument orientated would be interested in this type of product that acts more like a traditional multitracker than a virtual studio with all the bells and wistles.

Proppellerheads also recently released a program called record, aimed at a similar market.

Alternatively, there are also some really good quality and good value hardware multitracks from manufacturers like Alesis and Tascam. These will allow those who hate the complexity of computers to free themselves from the technology while working. (use ears and not eyesm probably good for those anal sound engineers who have ocd).

These multitracks are also great for using as backing for semi live, as they are generally more stable and robust than the average pc.

There are also loads of other midi sequencers / multitracks for electronic music producers.
One midi sequencer / multitrack is called fruity loops studio.
This sequencer has gained quiet a big following by jungle/dnb/dubstep music producers.
Perhaps because its quiet easy to learn and is very reasonably priced.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Logic 9 is an improvement (audio engine wise) over 8. Seems they got the top end right FINALLY.

It is neck and neck to DP as far as warmth of the audio engine.

Makes it difficult to decide which way to go as DP6 added so many needed features for mixing and cross platform (IE importing PT tracks with ease) That I begged for over the years....
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.