Pro Tools or Logic ???

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

rodwillner

Pro Tools or Logic ???

Post by rodwillner »

Hi all,

What a fantastic site this is……….I’m learning so much. It’s great to see all these good people contributing ideas & sharing thoughts!! I’ve become a regular reader !

My question is this.

I just wanted to get some opinions re differences / preferences regarding Pro Tools & Logic.

Does anyone prefer one to the other? If so why?

Are there benefits of using one over the other?

Seems to me that Pro Tools is more commonly seen in pro studios whereas, people that run Logic seem to be in smaller studios & home based recording environments. is this the case?

I want to set up a studio for myself in my garage (will talk more about construction later) I’m deciding whether to set up with Pro Tools or Logic.

All thoughts / opinions are much appreciated.

Thank you
Rod

Special hi to John!!! ?
:D :D :D
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Hi Rod - printed that CD yet??

have you considered Nuendo and a PC?? probably half the cost and equaly good, if not better.

cheers
john
Sword9

Post by Sword9 »

I too am going to suggest Nuendo (or cubase-depending on your needs). I've used it for 5 years and version 3 is the best yet. I'll never use a Pro Tools system again for personal projects, unless things really change.
SaM Harrison
Location Engineers
Nashville, TN
the dreamer

Post by the dreamer »

Hi Rod,
I just switched from PT LE to Cubase SX.
The main reason is the support of 5.1 surround. And Cubase has some nice features PT has not.....and you're always waiting a long time for new standart features to be implemented into PT. Digidesign is slow. Steinberg is far ahead.
If you get Cubase and want to switch to Nuendo you only pay the difference.

If you want to use both, which I may do in future, you can just buy an Mbox or one of the M-Audio cards.
:D
rodwillner

Post by rodwillner »

Hi all,

Thanks heaps for the info.

I’ve had quite a few people pushing me away from Pro Tools since I started asking the question, which is interesting. One person in particular said “Pro Tools has had it’s day”. So I’ll go with the majority vote & steer away from it.

I’m going to venture out & take a look at Steinberg Cubase & Nuendo. I’m a Mac user & would have to upgrade to meet the system requirements for Nuendo, but Cubase would be ok in the interim & would surely meet my needs. (I can already run Logic 7 with the systems I have).

Nuendo Requires
Power Mac G4 Dual 1 GHz
512 MB RAM
OS X Version 10.3 or higher
CoreAudio compatible audio hardware
DVD-ROM drive
USB port for copy protection key

Neundo Recommends:
Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz or faster
1024 MB RAM
Display Resolution 1152 x 864 pixels
Dual monitor setup

I do like the Steinberg product. I used Steinberg Wavelab 5 to do the editing for my ‘almost completed’ solo CD project. Speaking of which………………..,John, I’m finishing off the art work for the ~CD, a slow job when trying to do everything myself & a BIG thank you once again for mastering it for me :):):)

Thank heaps for the feedback all.
Rod
CrAkD

Post by CrAkD »

I Use Protools and am happy with it. only thing that kind of ticks me off about it is the 32 track limit on LE and the mind numming difference in cost from LE to TDM.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Logic has a good midi sequencer as well as audio sampler arranger thingy and loads of plug-ins.

Pro tools has pro at the beginning and is a fools choice.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I've used Pro Tools (or poor man's tools, as you'll be broke after buying a rig) for about 11 years. However, there are now many different choices, price points depending on what your exact needs are. If you're just mixing in the box, so to speak, you can run Nuendo, Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, etc, etc. It really depends on what your needs are and the budget. PT is still the so called "industry standard", but with todays technology, a lot of that is changing daily.

There's my two cents worth... :wink:
chinocurva

Post by chinocurva »

Hello!

Oh, you guys...! None of you have mentioned Sonar... (I think we´re starting to put Nuendo and Cubase in the same place ProTools was once upon a time... "THE solution" :) )

So, for you to read, Rodwillner, in this same section I´ve settled up my humble opinion:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4370

I agree with John about prices and quality.
So, if I were you, would sell the Mac, or leave it for another purpouses like graphics/video edition, and try to get the strongest, powerful and fastest PC you can (sooooo much cheaper than any similar Mac), and start rocking!! (Sonar is not supported by Mac... oops... well, nothing´s perfect... :P)

But any soft you choose, try to make it your easiest-to-use tool. Always remember that. It will prevent you from headaches.

My regards!

Chino
"Andar significa ir lejos. Ir lejos significa retornar." (Tao Te Ching)

www.chinocourvoisier.com.ar
kendale

Post by kendale »

Any Samplitude users comments?

:)
chinocurva

Post by chinocurva »

Yeah, Samplitude too!! :P

Chino
"Andar significa ir lejos. Ir lejos significa retornar." (Tao Te Ching)

www.chinocourvoisier.com.ar
Govinda

Post by Govinda »

logic pro on a mac!
simple it works!
sorry i've used nuendo and cubase and its like 5 mouse clicks anywhere!
nuendo is probably the best sounding audio engine though! Logic 7 is now probably as good if not better i havent compared recently!
pro tools is really simple and easy to use and costs more than anything else!
go figure?
pro tools is a pain in the ass in use! especially when tracking! haha sorry had to say it
logic comes with a sampler that actually does not crash (not like some other samplers used in stienbug) so yeah im a biased wanker!
at the end of the day what ever tickles your fancy...after all if your not feeling creative in a particluar program because of its lack of functionality you made the wrong choice!!!!
choose well!
G
Tunemaker

Post by Tunemaker »

If your not stuck on big names check out the Pro-Plus version from Bremmers Audio design here www.multitrackstudio.com
IMO this company is a sleeper and I believe it will be taking a good chunk of the market from those big names when the word gets out just how user freindly, stable and feature packed this software is. I,ve been using it for almost two years and I've yet to be dissapointed. I know of more than a few who have switched from Pro-Tools, Cubebase, Sonar.
The user forums have very little in the way of real problems. People are to busy making music ..
D3lta

Post by D3lta »

It appears that many here dislike Pro Tools, although I'm not really sure why. However, I am a huge fan of it. It has a super simple two screen lay out. The mix, and the edit windows, no matter which version you use (LE or TDM) It's completely able to support all matters of outboard equipment and it sounds like $100,000 worth of analog. Yes, it tends to be pricier, but it's well worth it, espcially when considering a very high percentage of large professional studios use Pro Tools and is easily intefrated for mixing or mastering.
Jamzone

What's the fuzz??

Post by Jamzone »

I've been working both in Logic 7 on mac and Nuendo on Pc. Own's a dual G5 with Pro 7 and Tc powercore firewire on it. Works beautifully. Were in Germany and worked with some people there and they used a Pc with Nuendo/Uad-1. No problem!!

I don't think a high spec Pc is that much cheaper than a Mac. Seen people running Sonar/Nuendo/Cubase on "budget machines" and that's not a fun thing to watch!!

So why is it always one or the other??

Cheers,

Ola