Posting Pictures

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

John Sayers
Site Admin

Posting Pictures

Post by John Sayers »

For posting pictures I've left the size option open for convenience but could you please try not to post HUGE picture files. If they are over 700px wide they distort the text area making it hard to read.

To resize a picture - open the picture up in Paint (You'll find it under start/programs/accessories/paint. Then click on Image/Stretch-skew.
Set the stretch Horiz and Vert to say 50% and click on OK. Now save as a new file.

here's a free picture editor/resizer.

http://www.faststone.org/index.htm

hope this helps

cheers
john
Last edited by John Sayers on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Because of the huge files people have been posting I've had to limit the size to 150 Kb. Read the previous post to work out how to resize pics. Please don't post pics wider than 700px. ;)

thanks
John
Last edited by John Sayers on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

If you want a free image program for resizing etc I can recommend this one.

Infranview - download for free here

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2192-10021962.html

cheers
john
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Here's another free image program, picasa.

www.picasa.com/download/index.php

to resize just export and the pixel size can be set.

cheers
john
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

OK, I've resized my pictures in "Studio Setup" but it still seem to distort the screen making it too wide to view. But, I'm trying :?
If you don't see the humor in it your not looking hard enough!
donpipo

Post by donpipo »

i'm new. but you can enter http://www.imageshack.us/ and upload images there. there you can re size images to. and there you can put the link of the picture and that way yo can save bandwith. i hope this doesn't get you mad.
cheers :arrow:
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

no - that's fine mate ;)
sharward

Post by sharward »

The problem I see with using a free third party imiage hosting service is that you (and all forum members) are at the mercy of that hosting company. Often they (understandably) imipose their own bandwidth restrictions that could take one or more of your pictures offline, either temporarily or permanently.

Steve has asked us not to host images externally, and instead, to upload them all onto the forum, so that the images don't disappear months or years later. Steve often points people to threads that contain photos that illustrate important points, so when those pictures disappear, it's quite a loss for the community here.

I must confess that I have been hosting my images off the forum for a while now, and (sorry Steve! :roll:) I'm continuing to do so. The difference in my case is that I'm paying for the hosting through GoDaddy.com. I'm paid up for three years and I'll most likely continue my hosting arrangements with them for years to come. One of the benefits of my hosting them at GoDaddy is that I am using their photo album software called Coppermine that, among other things, automatically resizes images to a size that you specify. So that I can automatically include images on this forum, I set the "intermediate" image width to 700 pixels wide, as per John's request. 8)

I have also made a commitment to myself that if ever I change my manner of image hosting (i.e., change hosting providers and/or change online photo album software that changs the URLs of my images), I will painstakingly go through my entire marathon thread and manually change each image URL to the updated one. Hopefully that never happens! :shock:

I realize that what I am doiong rather complicated for a lot of people, so I'm not necessarily prescribing what I am doing as a recommendation. I did, however, want to point out that although hosting images off site does have some advantages (not the least of which is being able to position the images inline, meaning not always at the end of the post), there are other risks and costs, not the least of which is the possibility that the images will disappear forever. That may be OK for one's family vacation photos, but when the photos are extremely valuable reference material, the risks may be too great.

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Eric_Desart

Post by Eric_Desart »

Just an idea:

John could make a subforum specific for uploading pictures.
People could use that to store their pictures in their own topic (e.g. pictures from Mr. X)
People contributing a lot of pictures also keep a better overview of everything they entered already.
One just should agree not to start discussions there, only store pictures, with max. some additional short explenation/context by the poster itself.

You can easily extract the links from that to use in the respective forums. (rightclick > properties).

This gives the advantage that pictures in the forums itself can be integrated within the text itself (without these frames at the end of the post).

And the frame itself calls for some space as well (ca 20 px loss).
Best regards - Eric Desart
My posts are never meant to sell whatever incl. myself, neither direct, nor indirect.
homestudiogallery

Re: Posting Pictures

Post by homestudiogallery »

If you are wanting to post images of your studio,
tell me that you came from John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum. I will let you link them beck here for free!
Only studio pictures though, as it describes on my site Home Studio Gallery.
I would really like to get the site going, i think a lot of people would love to look through these images i
do. That is why I'm trying to organize this site to facilitate the Studio/Gear p*rn addiction :mrgreen:
Post and look at home studio pictures for free! Show people what your space and gear looks like, or get ideas from others.

HomeStudioGallery.com
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

What do I get if I pay?
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

How about having an option of uploading multiple attachments at once instead of uploading one per time?
ronrogers

Post by ronrogers »

Posting Pictures
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

ronrogers wrote:Posting Pictures
Yes, that's right. That's what the thread is about. So what's your point?

- Stuart -
scotth

Post by scotth »

How do I post pictures?