Vinyl Barrier

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Julián Fernández

Vinyl Barrier

Post by Julián Fernández »

Hi Guys! Me again... I just found on ebay a guy selling this vinyl barrier...
Here´s the specs...

Density: 5 kg/m3
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz

I think it can be cool to put it between the 2 layers of gypsum

Hollow brick rendered both sides
> 10 cm air gap
> 10 cm thick wood frame fill with mineral wool
> 1st layer of gypsum
> vinyl barrier
> 2nd layer of gypsum

What do you think? It´s worthy? or should i spent the money on something else?

Thanks!
sharward

Re: Vinyl Barrier

Post by sharward »

Julián Fernández wrote:What do you think? It´s worthy? or should i spent the money on something else?
I think the general consensus is that "mass loaded vinyl" (a.k.a. "MLV") is a waste of money... I'm assuming that's what you're referring to.
Steve (a.k.a. 'knightfly') wrote:. . . it's always high priced, and although it can work in some cases it's never cost effective; if you figure out their price per square foot, then multiply by 32 to get the cost for a 4' x 8' sheet, it runs $19.20 - in my area, 5/8" gypsum wallboard runs $6.70 a sheet; For slightly more than the cost of one 1/8" layer of MLV, I can buy THREE layers of 5/8" gypsum, which would have an STC of roughly 38 - even ONE layer of gypsum, at $6.70, gives an STC of 28 - like I said, not much of a bargain - the only exception I see is if you have VERY limited room to add layers to a wall - even so, 3 TIMES the cost for the same isolation - no thanks . . .(source)
Hope that helps...
Julián Fernández

Post by Julián Fernández »

Thanks sharward! The stuff i´m talking about is very similar to Auralex SheetBlok... so, thanks for the advice!
I think i´ll save the money for new monitors! haha ;)