finished flooring

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

boogieknight

finished flooring

Post by boogieknight »

so i did a search and can't seem to find much information on finished flooring so here is my question.
i am wondering if anyone can help me with my options on finished flooring. i converted my garage to a little home studio. the control room is 8.5'x17' and the studio floor is 13.5'x 20'. the ceilings are 8'. the floor is floating on on concrete and currently finished with floor sheathing and i am decided how to finish the floor. i'm thinking that i might put carpet in the control room and some kind of hardwood in the studio floor.
what are my options when it comes to hardwoods? do different woods sound better then others? can i use laminate and still have the same relative effect as a hardwood floor? I would like to put i nice hardwood floor but i think the cost is going to be a bit high for my budget. if i had to choose between carpet and laminate which would be better?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument" JG
gdgross

Post by gdgross »

I just put 'engineered' hardwoord floor in all of my 10' x 14' project studio. I estimate that the total cost was around $500 or so (not counting my labor, of course :D ). Engineered floor is real wood, it's just like plywood, though, so the actual top layer of wood is thinner than a solid wood floor. Most of it comes prefinished, which was fine by me, since a factory finish looks much better than anything I could do, anyway. I don't know if it can be refinished, but the finish on the engineered wood floor I put in my studio seems to be tougher than the 'real' wood floor I've got in my house, so I'd think it will last a long time, especially if I keep my dog out of the studio (I will...). It was a snap to put in. It took me took weekends working very part-time.

All said and done, pergo or other laminate would have been slightly cheaper, but the actual wood looks soooo much better.

Another thing to consider is what the floor is going on. You shouldn't put a solid wood floor on slab concrete anyway (unless it's a floated slab...) due to moisture/expanding/contracting. Engineered floor has no problem with that, though, due to the grains of the different wood layers being 90° to each other. I just had to seal the concrete with a liquid for a moisture barrier.

Check out ifloor.com for some great articles regarding types of flooring.
Geoff