New studio plan. What you think.

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

davemc

New studio plan. What you think.

Post by davemc »

Hi Guys,

I have asked the same question over at http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.p ... eadid=4694 and we did some modifications to the plan. I was told to try here for some more comment, so here I am.

I am renovating an existing studio(well gutting it basically) and the link is to the current plan we are think of doing. Any thoughts on it, would be a great help?
The plan is done by a local acoutic guy and I have been pasing it backwards and forwards and do not know if I have made it better or worse.

A couple of answers to some questions.
1) The toilet cannot be moved, its there it will cost to much to move it.
2) The front is on a laneway and the entrance is where the booths are
3) The back exit is to a little courtyard area.
4) The front booths are already there, I thought of cutting them down to smaller ones, or ditching them completely(apart from a soundlock). Although I would loose storage, cost more and gain a meter probably only.

http://www.indentmusic.com.au/newindent2.pdf

Thanks Guys...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Hi Dave - welcome to the site.

I've attached a pic of you plan so everyone can see it.

The first thing I notice is that you are not soffit mounting your speakers, any reason why not?? You could also have glass doors between you and the studio for better visual/communication. Those booths are very small - how do you access them and are you going to put windows in for communication?

An alternate layout would be the garage studio design like this where you run the control room across the building. With all that gear at the rear of your room you still only get a 4.6m deep control room which is the width of the building.

cheers
john
davemc

Post by davemc »

Thanks John,

Yes I noticed there are no doors to the booths, after posting today.... At the moment both doors open into the passage way. I was thinking of adding a glass door in the larger booth opening into the live area(framing up the existing doorway) and leaving the smaller booth door as is. Both these booths are currently used for guitar amps.. The larger one would be an ok vocal booth although thinking of keeping them mainly amp booths.

Actually the first plan given to me was similar to the garage plan, sight lines through a control room for cues when recording a band live are a little far.

Soffits, well I have not thought of getting large speakers in the short to medium term. The speakers are currently on the bridge. It is something to keep in mind so I will think about it.

Thats the whole point of posting to get some ideas and make sure all is well. When I did the initial rooms over 5 years ago there was not these sort of forums around. I also stupidly did it myself, and left the existing walls where they were... hind sight is a great thing to have.