3D of a Basement Studio in Sketchup

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

ekki

Post by ekki »

:lol: An engineere in Armani? :lol: Tell me where engineeres work in armani... I wanna move there and start a studio... (or maybe it is his agent)

(I'm just jalous cause i dont have time or knowledge in english language to figure out how to draw in that program whitout using half my lifetime.....) :cry:
Phat & Phunky
oysteinsevg

Post by oysteinsevg »

This looks interresting!

Can we also render Quicktime movies? Or any kind of movie format, and get a really smooth movement as you "fly" thru / around the buildings? Or is it more like "step-by-step" animation?

Best regards
Oystein Sevag
composer / engineer / producer
http://www.sevag.com
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Yes - it can reneder AVI files of any size and compression. It creates a smooth transition video that looks very good as you fly through the design.

cheers
john
oysteinsevg

Post by oysteinsevg »

That is great.
I think I have to get this program!
Thank you John Sayers

Best regards
Oystein Sevag
ekki

Post by ekki »

Nice to see so many from Norway here! :D It's not a lot of information about studio construction to find in Norwegian. Maybe we should make a "Norwegian studio design unite"....
PS: Love your music Øystein! :wink:
Phat & Phunky
oysteinsevg

Post by oysteinsevg »

Thanks for nice words about my music!

Well, there is not much of anything in norwegian language. I think it is better to go for english. Let us be realistic about that. Then we have access to a global community - like this forum.

I have seen good people trying to start a music / technology online forum in norwegian. It just does not work. There is so much knowhow available worldwide. So why not connect to it?

And your english does not have to be perfect!

Oh - by the way: Do you have a studio in norway?

All the best
Oystein Sevag
ekki

Post by ekki »

Well, there is not much of anything in norwegian language. I think it is better to go for english. Let us be realistic about that. Then we have access to a global community - like this forum.

I have seen good people trying to start a music / technology online forum in norwegian. It just does not work. There is so much knowhow available worldwide. So why not connect to it?
I strongly agree!
And your english does not have to be perfect!

Thank God! So im still cool 8)

Oh - by the way: Do you have a studio in norway?
Yea i do. And i know you do, or at last did. At an old farm, was it? My studio is in an old boathouse, 200 square meters, by the...sea of course..... :lol:
I have just rebuild my studio and control room as a result of reading in this forum. So be careful: You never know it before you are rebuilding something yourself after being here for a while... :)

Do you still have that same studio in norway? Plans on something new? I mean since you are surfing around in a place like this?
I am a composer/producer. You can visit my company at www.flomm.no
Phat & Phunky
Xalky

Post by Xalky »

SketchUp is an awesome program. It does everything that I ever wanted a CAD program to do, without all the fuss. It's not a cad program, much simpler, more intuitive and way easier to learn.

I only got about 4 hrs use on it and I've already drawn my first practice studio on, minus a lot of details.

I can't say enough about it !

Marcel
AK-69

Post by AK-69 »

Wow this looks great! I've been making all kinds of sketches, because I'm moving my studio to a different room. But I've started now in sketchup, this is so much easyer. It's really handy that you can see everything in perfect scale.
P750souza

Post by P750souza »

SketchUp

Just cool. I am using it for less than a month an see the results below:

Creat great solutions!

Paul
Paulo
:)
basementdude

Sketchup - basement studio -opinions?

Post by basementdude »

Hello all.

Total newbie here, but I did purchase the Sketchup software and really enjoy it. I made this rendering of my basement which I intend to use as a combination live/rehearsal room with a separate control room.

Here's a link to the Sketchup project file, for those who can view it:
http://www.ybrband.com/YBRstudio.skp

And here's a jpg image from above. No dimensions shown, but the overall size is about 20'x30', the control room being about 7'x20'. Those are the existing dimensions. I intend to use heavy fabric curtains over the exterior windows, fiberglass insulation in the interior wall, and a variety of 2" thick fiberboard panels on walls, ceiling, and corners as absorbers/bass traps.

I'd like to hear any comments regarding these ideas, about minimizing sound reflection, the idea of mounting live PA speakers in the corners as shown, and what materials to use in the interior wall to isolate the control room as much as possible.

PS: Sketchup users: I'm having a rough time trying to get a door to actually go "through" a wall. It appears open from one side, but then doesn't even stick through the other side. I tried making my own and using the stock component doors, same thing. Any advice?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the info here.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Should do side wall resonators in your control room, missing a bass trap in the lower right hand corner of the CR.

A lot of parralle surfaces, not sure what the flexibility is in your construction...
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Welcome to the forum, basementdude. Nice work on the sketch! 8)

I would recommend that you start your own thread, rather than piggyback on this particular "sticky" one... :roll: I think you'll get better results and it will keep this thread free of project-specific talk. :)
AK-69

Post by AK-69 »

Does your basement have big windows in the south wall? So is it half dug-in or something? Just curious about sound leakage. Trap placement looks okay, but I don't know if you should hang pa speakers on them in the corners. It's going to require quite a sturdy construction and I don't know how it will influence your acoustics.
Why would you need pa speakers in a live room anyway? Make a good headphone system for monitoring, so you can plug in headphones in various sockets in the live room. Much better for a studio.
shamca

Post by shamca »

Aaronw wrote:Awesome program. I just imported my 3D autocad file of the studio (which by the way has mods not in this picture...) and looks very cool.
Hi Aaron, I'm new here and have been scrounging ideas for a few weeks. The way you have carved up your space looks interesting..I was wondering what the outside dims of your walls are?

I have a 26'x12.5' space I'm working on.

Thank you,
Shaun