mission recording 3 rooms under construction

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

missionrec

mission recording 3 rooms under construction

Post by missionrec »

I also posted this under "design"
I'm new here and not totally sure of protocol.
Whichever's in the wrong place we'll let die.
Thanks . . .

Hello fellow noisemakers,

I’m looking for some ideas on a small complex I’m building inside an existing warehouse space. I need to do ceiling bass traps and diffusion/absorption on the walls. As you can see from the drawings of the space, I am working with a small area, but I have premium conditions and materials.

All walls are 10' high, double 2x4 parallel, 16" on center with odd spaced ties, 1" apart. Rock wool was used in the walls. Ceilings are doubled 2x6 spans (16" on center) hung with joist hangers. Wall and ceiling surface membrane is ½" plywood screwed to 2x4's and glued with Sheetrock brand acoustic sealant. Second layer is ½" blackboard glued (carpet glue applied liberally) and nailed. Third layer is ½" sheetrock, glued and screwed through to the plywood. Fourth layer is 3/8" sheetrock, also glued and screwed through to the plywood. Each layer of sheetrock is taped for seal and no seams match except the corners (obviously.) Floor is concrete slab that was cut to shape of rooms for isolation. Floors are 5/16" pre-finished hardwood glued to 1/4" sheet rubber which is glued to the slab.

Doors are custom studio doors manufactured by Krieger products, with an installed STC rating of 53 (talk about heavy and tight!)

The space will have custom HVAC with large diameter flex ducting that originates at least 20' outside the complex, with a supply and a return for each space (2 supplies for the control and the machine room.) The machine room has a separate vent to the outside for drawing cool air in winter and to exhaust warm air in the summer.

Electrical is stranded flex in an armored jacket with a 100 amp service and each outlet returning to an individual breaker with an isolated ground. The cable runs were made before the walls were built and each passes through the membrane ceiling above it’s permanent location. I am planning to hide the cabling in the absorption/diffusion. I also have power filtration and regulation for the computer and recording gear.

I couldn’t do soffit mount speakers because of the design, so I settled for near field placement.

If anything is confusing or unclear I’ll be glad to answer any questions.

Here’s the beginning of the question session. . .

How do I calculate room nodes (or are there any?) in rooms with non parallel walls?
Can you recommend custom wall broadband absorption/diffusion that consumes as little space as possible?
What are the recommended locations in this space?
How do you do recommend window construction in a double wall space?
How do you recommend constructing ceiling bass traps in the 1.5 feet of space around the flex duct?
What kind of ceiling surface do you recommend in the control room?
What kind of ceiling surface do you recommend in the studios? Since I have a very bright floor I was thinking absorption only . . .
Should I do an HVAC return in the control room come down to the floor in the back corner and then bass trap around it? (Seems like that would cost a lot of space . . .) Any other ideas?

Thanks for your input.

missionrec
Recording With A Mission
missionrec

some pics . . .

Post by missionrec »

Just for info purposes
Recording With A Mission