FINISHED IN 2020! Sharward's Partial Garage Conversion

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

sharward

Re: BACK IN ACTION IN 2018! Sharward's Partial Garage Conver

Post by sharward »

I wish I had more progress to share after this three day weekend, but it's something...
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Looks pretty good to me, for a long weekend! Not bad at all.

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

The past several weeks have been intense, not studio related though. I did manage to finish OSB installation on the studio side and sealed all of the gaps so it is now ready for drywall. There's a two ton stack of drywall on the porch and I will be working on that this afternoon with my friend Jason.

But here is the other news. We had two retired racing Greyhounds, one 12 years old and then other six. Our elder greyhound got diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and we had to euthanize her a few days later. :cry:

Just three weeks later, my wife and I drove over 770 miles (1239 kilometers) to Flagstaff, Arizona, to meet a lady who needed to re-home two beautiful 9 month old Borzoi puppies. We brought them both home with us, kept the female, and gave the male to our friend who also euthanized his greyhound two days before we did ours.

Behold, our precious doggos.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

dogue.jpg
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
guitardad72

Post by guitardad72 »

Nice to see you back in action Keith and to log into the forum for the 1st time in a few years :)

I tried to log in when I when after we messaged while I was at Alameda but the board kept kicking me out.

Hopefully, my SAC gig will go thru next year and I will see and get to experience Sharwards's Partial Garage Conversion, in person.
As of Jun 2011, have not finished studio. But working as The One Man Band Marc Dobson which hopefully will continue up my career to a point where I can afford to finish my build.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Nothing too exciting to report other than to say I have resumed hanging drywall and am almost done with the three layers of ceiling. Each layer is is smaller than the one above it so that the wall layers will interleave the way they are supposed to. I decided to do all three ceiling layers before doing walls because the drywall hoist is a nuisance and takes up a lot of room and I'd like to get rid of it sooner rather than later. I'll post photos when the ceiling drywall is done later this week. I also ordered two more cases of Green Glue which will arrive tomorrow. I think I will ultimately use 7 cases or 84 tubes of the stuff altogether, well over a thousand dollars' worth.
guitardad72

Post by guitardad72 »

How come there's no LIKE button on here? :blah: :blah: :blah: BUT I do enjoy the old phpBB boards. It seems like in general new boards, and Social Media does not go into the detail that so many phpBB board users used to go into a decade out.
As of Jun 2011, have not finished studio. But working as The One Man Band Marc Dobson which hopefully will continue up my career to a point where I can afford to finish my build.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Facebook invented the "Like" button, and this forum and my build is older than Facebook! The digital camera I used to use back in 2005 was 1.3 megapixels!

Anyway, I finished hanging ceiling drywall today and I sold the drywall hoist on craigslist or exactly what I paid for it ($100).

I surprised myself by discovering my ceiling will be a couple of inches higher than I recalled. As a result, my first two wall layers of drywall will be taller than the nine foot long boards stacked on my porch. That means more work which bums me out, but I will keep marching forward.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Still plugging away! I gotta get the third layer of drywall on the interior hung (not including tape and mud) before November 13 so I can get my inspection done before my permit expires again. I'm ⅔ done with Layer #2 on walls (ceiling has 3 layers already). I have two weekends between now and then so it's crunch time. I'm slow but cautious...
sharward

Post by sharward »

Guess who passed his drywall fastening inspection today? This guy! One day before my permit was due to expire.

Here's a short video if you'd like to see what it looks like with all the three layers of drywall panels installed, plus my commentary on the inspection process that was rather lame.

It's so close now! Next step: tape and mud!
sharward

Post by sharward »

Tape and mud is done. Next stop: sanding, followed by texture, followed by paint!

It occurred to me today that everything I am now doing is directly tied to aesthetics. That's a pretty awesome feeling.

Some of my lighting arrived and I'm really looking forward to hooking those up soon.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Sanding is done, so in anticipation of having texture done this week, I did a little shopping... 8)
jwl

Post by jwl »

The finish line is so close, I can smell it from here. Weird how it smells like paint.
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
sharward

Post by sharward »

I had a bit of a setback. I was so eager to get paint started that I made an attempt to texture one wall as an experiment to see if I was up to the task. In short, I don't think I am, and attempting to undo it made things much worse. But I think I have a decent plan to bring that wall back to a smooth finish, and I have a couple of contacts including a friend of mine who I think can get the job done at a hopefully reasonable cost. I'm too embarrassed to share a photo of the mess I have made, but hopefully I will have something photogenic in a couple of weeks.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Operation "Fix My Terrible Attempt at Texturing The Walls" is going pretty good. My biggest mistake was not overlooking the parts that needed to be sanded down. I sanded about 7 linear feet to the point that I think it's ready for primer and paint and slopped on about 5 linear feet on another wall. It's much more time consuming than I wish it to be as such an amateur, but it's progress and I'm good with it. A few hours every day or two with many more hours on weekends and I'll be painting in a couple of weeks, maybe by New Year's Day or the week after.