FINISHED IN 2020! Sharward's Partial Garage Conversion

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: BACK IN ACTION IN 2018! Sharward's Partial Garage Conver

Post by Soundman2020 »

Oh yeah! Now THAT is starting to look like a studio! Have you done an isolation test, to see how much you are getting with just that part all sealed up?

Glad to hear that you got over the root-canal "entertainment" OK. That's not fun...

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

And now we are at page 100! Wow.

No isolation tests per se yet, as the door threshold is not in place, BUT when I pound on the wall it is SOLID and feels and sounds so did compared to the other walls in the garage.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Keith, I'm in awe; combining actual physical work with back pain, root canals, what's next, a plague of locusts (or worse, drywall eating termites) - anyway, looks like you're gettin' close enough to "see the light at the end of the tunnel", maybe even find out it's NOT attached to a locomotive :mrgreen:

I answered your PM, feel free to share with anybody that's interested - gotta go herd some Gkids for a while, everybody take care... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
sharward

Post by sharward »

Thanks Steve -- those who are familiar with my earliest fact finding steps in this project know how instrumental you were in keeping me on the right track.

Walls are ⅔ insulated at this point and soon to be fully insulated with a new batch of mineral wool insulation I picked up earlier in the week. Ceiling is next, followed by an insulation inspection.

Getting there!!
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
sharward

Post by sharward »

It's been a few weeks, and I took a little time off the project to travel and see some concerts (three Queensryche shows with Fates Warning opening, plus a Fates Warning one-off headliner, Dream Theater twice, and Within Temptation once, in San Diego, Los Angeles, Redding (California), and Charlotte (North Carolina). But today I finally finished the miserable task of stuffing mineral wool insulation and it feels fantastic to have that part done now. Well, almost done -- I will have just a bit more after I install the second (inner) door, which is next up. I will work on that this week.

This evening I spotted a good deal on a drywall hoist about 75 miles from home, so I drove down to Modesto and bought the thing, because I'm maybe a week or two at the most away from hanging OSB and drywall on the interior! After the door is installed and that last bit of insulation is stuffed, it's inspection time.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Nice to see the insulation in place. And I'll bet that made a huge difference to how it sounds in there!

If it's not impolite, could I ask how much you paid for the drywall lifter? That's going to be a God-send when you start on the ceiling. I wish I could get those here easily: I might just have to import one, one day.

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

Soundman2020 wrote: I'll bet that made a huge difference to how it sounds in there!.
It does -- very "dead" and very quiet inside. However, I try not to get myself too excited by that as we all know it is low end isolation that I am doing this for, and for that I must have the inner leaf mass, and that's what the three layers of ⅝" drywall with Green Glue behind each panel is going to achieve! Still, it is so nice to be able to run my mini split air conditioner and have the air stay cool inside the room
Soundman2020 wrote:. . . could I ask how much you paid for the drywall lifter? That's going to be a God-send when you start on the ceiling.
Home Depot offers them here in the US with free shipping to their store for $300 with extension Rod included but I got mine with extension rod for just $100.

I borrowed one many years ago when I did work on the ceiling of my outer leaf. It was indeed a huge benefit. I couldn't even imagine doing this work without it.

I will be installing the door this evening.
sharward

Post by sharward »

I have two doors, and that is a beautiful thing.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Insulation inspection scheduled for tomorrow!
sharward

Post by sharward »

Insulation inspection passed. Time to start covering the walls!!
jwl

Post by jwl »

Nice! What's the plan for the walls? Drywall, or fabric facades, or something else?
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Insulation inspection passed.
Good news! The place is progressing at a nice pace now.

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

This is what a thousand dollars' worth of drywall and OSB on my porch looks like -- just in time for our three day Memorial Day weekend.
jwl

Post by jwl »

There's my answer..... :-)
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
sharward

Post by sharward »

Ready to hang boards. Had to do some clean-up and organizing plus some maintenance on the home air conditioner today, but after assembling this thing, there's nothing in my way now.

This reminds me of when I borrowed a drywall hoist exactly like this from fellow studio builder Brian "Stick" Steckler back in (GASP!) January 2005. Coincidentally, I met and befriended a mutual friend of his. He moved since building that original home studio of his and my understanding is that he built another one after moving.