FINISHED IN 2020! Sharward's Partial Garage Conversion

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Pure L

Re: Sharward's Studio - Partial Garage Conversion, ISOLATED

Post by Pure L »

Wow. Can't believe the man is back!!

Without this thread, I'm not exactly sure how my own build would have turned out. Kinda scary, actually.

Because of this thread I managed to start and finish my (permitted/legal) soundproofed garage/studio and it is 100% awesome. I'd rate it up there with one of the best accomplishments of my life, in fact.

Took me a good 5 years (HAHAHAHAHAHAH! Seriously!) but I did it and it totally works.

I have practiced with a very loud band at 2am in a very residential area and it is virtually silent 10 feet from my walls.

Welcome back, Master of Soundproofing/King of Documentation!

You were missed.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I can relate. I was planning on starting up again myself this summer until I got laid off a month ago. I'm also still trying to pay off those thousands of dollars I already invested to date.

Speaking of politics, I've been somewhat involved there too the last few months trying to help save our constitutional rights. I keep getting this burning urge to run for President. LOL
johnv

Post by johnv »

Just a BUMP to see where things are...
sharward

Post by sharward »

Well I see it and think about it on a daily basis. I am so incredibly busy right now with work, plus I am very involved in a mayoral campaign. I really hope to get going on this again later this year.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Hey,

I think that's a wonderful idea! I love playing the drums. I imagine you have already created your studio. If so, how did it turn out?
sharward

Post by sharward »

Well, believe it or not, it is not done, and the latest photos are pretty indicative of where things have been left. I definitely was consumed with a lot of other activities that got in the way of this intense project. However, I am pleased to report that over the last several months I have been very motivated to pick it up again and finish the darned thing. The space had been used as storage for my wife's business for over a year, and after much effort on both of our parts, the space has been cleared and I no longer have a physical barrier to progress. We just returned from a week-long vacation in Austin Texas and I resolved to resume work upon our return. I intend to make an appointment with the city's Building Department within the next few days to reapply for my permit that had expired years ago. I am especially interested and a bit nervous about some changes in building codes that could possibly affect my build. I am hoping that I can be exempt from them on the basis that this is expressly not a sleeping room. I will be posting updates again here soon. Thanks for your interest.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I am pleased to report that over the last several months I have been very motivated to pick it up again and finish the darned thing.
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Woohoo! This is gonna be GREAT! It was actually this very thread that induced (seduced?) me to sign up on the forum, all those years ago. I was severely disappointed after reading through nearly a hundred pages of posts, only to find a non-conclusion :( But now, there finally WILL be a conclusion.

This is also one of the most-viewed threads on the entire forum: believe it of not, there have been over HALF A MILLION views, so far! :shock: To be more precise, the view counter stands at 516,325 at present... and I'm betting it will soon climb again, rapidly. Deservedly!

Welcome back, Keith! I'm REALLY looking forward to see your place completed. I hope your meeting with the authorities goes well, and it's a simple, painless task to reactivate the paperwork.

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

Thanks! So much has happened since I started. It's hard to start up "the machine" when it's been idle for so long, but it needs to move forward.

:shot:
ZSXI

Post by ZSXI »

Been reading this thread for a while, often thinking about a reply only to remind myself the thing is over a decade old! Glad to see you may be back on track. As inspirational as this thread has been it's also manifested my own fear of going full bore on a project only to have it fizzle as life gets in the way -- and it always gets in the way. To be honest the only thing worse would be to finish 100% and then forget how to do all the things you were going to do in there. I haven't played much guitar or done a serious mix in about 3 years but I'm becoming a pretty decent general contractor in the meantime. :?
sharward

Post by sharward »

I'm back and things are happening!

Video of Current Status
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Cool! Just watched the video, Keith, and I'm REALLY wanting to see this room finished! After all this time...

And since you posted the video, now you have no more excuses... :) :thu:

So what's the next step?

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

Next step is visiting the permit counter at the city building department, and I have already emailed my request for an appointment!

But in terms of actual work involved, unless there are any changes I need to make that are building code related based on changes made to the codes in the past dozen years or so, which I really hope do not affect my project at all, I believe the next practical step is insulation, then drywall, which is actually first a layer of OSB and then three layers of drywall throughout.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

then drywall, which is actually first a layer of OSB and then three layers of drywall throughout.
I noticed that in the video, and was sort of impressed: That's pretty serious mass you are putting on there, and with your full isolated slab, you should be getting some pretty serious isolation! I'm sure it is somewhere in you 97-page thread (!), but I'm wondering how much isolation you are shooting for? Do you recall what the original goal was, in decibels TL? I'm guessing well north of 60?

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

Mission accomplished -- I have a fresh permit! It cost me about $316. They only charged me based on about 40% of the original valuation I estimated since most of the work is already done.

I may have an expensive fix though. My original permit was issued in 2005 and the mini split air conditioner and heat pump may not be compliant with today's building codes. If that is the case, then my condensor (the unit on the ground outside) may need to be replaced, and that won't be too cheap. I need to look up the model number and get the specs on it to see if it complies.

Still, this is a huge step for me to get back on track with the build!
sharward

Re: BACK IN ACTION IN 2018! Sharward's Partial Garage Conver

Post by sharward »

I just checked the specifications of my unit, and with a SEER rating of 16, it meets current efficiency standards. I should be in the clear and not have to buy another unit!! :mrgreen: