FINISHED IN 2020! Sharward's Partial Garage Conversion

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Gregwor

Re: BACK IN ACTION IN 2018! Sharward's Partial Garage Conver

Post by Gregwor »

Building your own out of the door you linked to would be the cheapest for sure! That gets my vote!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
sharward

Post by sharward »

I ordered the doors today from a local supplier whose price is very close to the one I got from the Los Angeles supplier but the overall cost is cheaper due to not having to pay anything for freight. :-) They're about $600 each not counting the extra plywood and Green Glue treatment each door will get. I should have them in a couple of weeks!
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Cool! It's going to be strange to see that room with the doors on, after all these years! Looking forward to that!

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

They are due to arrive at the shop on Tuesday. Fast!! I coincidentally have a musician buddy in town from LA and he's willing to help me hang a few sheets of drywall on Sunday afternoon. Progress feels good!
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
sharward

Post by sharward »

I realized that my friend and I made a mistake when installing the OSB. We needed to leave a gap between the concrete base and the bottom edge of the OSB so that moisture would not wick up. I rented a jamb saw, normally used to uncut door jambs for flooring installations, to cut a small amount off the bottom. I will make sure the drywall is similarly elevated.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

The easiest way to do that is to raise the panel and rest it on shims before nailing it in place, then pull the shims, push backer rod under it, and caulk the gap. The backer rod should fill only the back half of the crack, and the caulk fills the rest. Or just caulk all of it, if you don't mind the extra cost.

- Stuart -
sharward

Post by sharward »

Progress.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

You should be applying caulk around all of the joints of each layer as well.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
sharward

Post by sharward »

I guess I will going forward. I wasn't too concerned about the gaps between boards since the OSB's purpose isn't so much for isolation as it is a surface to receive screws if I miss a stud when mounting drywall or other stuff to the finished walls.

I'm pleased that the Green Glue I have had for over a dozen years is still good despite being stored in the garage. I had 12 tubes leftover from earlier work but I will need more for this portion, so I just bought another case for $172 (great price from BuyInsulationProducts.com).
sharward

Post by sharward »

Doors are in the house!
sharward

Post by sharward »

Today I bought some modeling clay and filled the underside of one of the door thresholds. I figured it was a good way to add mass to what would otherwise probably be one of the weak points of the door. The thresholds are very shallow such that they meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for wheelchair access -- not that I need that but I figured they'd make it easy to load in and out when gear is on wheels.

I read this particular modeling clay tends to crack if not covered in plastic. We'll see what it looks like in a few days.
sharward

Post by sharward »

First door installed, OSB and first layer of drywall on garage side done, and now adding 2nd layer. Gonna work a lot of hours this three day weekend.

End of next week marks six months since my first and so far only inspection since my replacement permit was issued. I must schedule a new inspection before then or my permit will lapse again. I plan to have an inspection next week even if I am doomed to fail it. I would rather do that than pay $76 to extend and that is a one time shot. I'd rather save that for a true emergency situation.

Speaking of which, I had a bit of a dental emergency this week requiring a root canal. That slowed me down a few days but I'm "back in action" as the updated title of this monster thread indicates.

Starting to have visions of the final product down to adornments inside the room, so I definitely feel like it's a lot closer to finished than ever before.
sharward

Post by sharward »

I've been doing garage side drywall between two and six hours each day for the past six days. Third layer of drywall is going up now so there's not much left there.

Pressure is off for now to get an inspection scheduled to avoid permit expiration this Saturday. I learned today that my hope of avoiding a $76 fee to extend the expiration date six months is not avoidable by merely scheduling an inspection -- the inspection needs to actually happen prior to expiration in order for it to count for automatic extension. So, this morning I paid the 76 bucks and can now breathe a little.

Today on my lunch hour I'm going to visit Acoustic Material Supply here in Sacramento to see what my options are for buying more mineral wool insulation. All of that mineral wool I bought a dozen years ago I bought from them. They're still around. I bought 24 tubes of of acoustic sealant from them a few weeks ago. I've gone through 15 of them already plus some that were left over from years ago, the few that hadn't dried up. I know I will need more insulation but I'm not sure how much yet, and that depends on what sizes they have available, what they have in house, what they will have to order or have shipped from another one of their California locations, etc. It's good to know my options before I put together my shopping list.

I already know they stock 9' x 4' drywall sheets which is what my next batch will consist of.
jwl

Post by jwl »

Awesome Sharward, glad to see you back in action! Has it really been a dozen years! Ye gods how time flies......
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
sharward

Post by sharward »

Aside from a bit of touch-up sanding, I think I can proclaim garage side of drywall DONE.

I'll be building a workbench for the spot begging for it tomorrow or Saturday. I bought the lumber for it this evening.