ceiling height and insulation

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

floatius

ceiling height and insulation

Post by floatius »

i have a live room with used mainly for drums, the floor underneath the drums will be the stick on tiles you can get at hd, the ceiling is 71/2 ft. high. the room is roughly 12 ft. by 16 ft. wide. right now i have two aurelex t fussors on the ceiling stuffed with roxul afb. would it help to open up the ceiling above the drums, and stuff 3 in. roxul afb between the floor joists and re-sheet rock the ceiling?
PhiloBeddoe

Post by PhiloBeddoe »

Floatius,

I am not one of the experts on the forum, but I can tell you that the experts will need a little more information from you in order to answer your question.

First and foremost is what your goals are for the space. Do you need isolation from neighbors, other rooms in the space, etc? Or, are you just looking for a room that sounds good acoustically?

If you're looking for isolation, you'll need to describe the construction of the existing ceiling, walls, floor, doors, windows, and any other relevant stuff such as ductwork. Drawings and pictures are very helpful.

Best of luck
floatius

Post by floatius »

the room is used as a live room for drums, i need to know if putting insulation in the floor joists and resheet rocking will help acoustics in the room, i dont need sound isolation from other rooms or from upstairs. just wondering if it would make the sound better. ? go:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Floatius, you seem to be bouncing between the floor and the ceiling, and it's getting confusing which you're talking about - could you at least re-word your questions separately, first about the floor (as you would call it from within your room) and then the walls, then the ceiling? Even better would be a simple sketch if possible.

Generally, any insulation you can add within the walls/floor/ceiling will help to damp those panels and decrease any resonance (boom) - beyond that, we need to clarify which surfaces you're planning on doing WHAT to, and one at a time... Steve
floatius

Post by floatius »

im just talking about the ceiling, if i put roxul afb in the floor joists, and sheet rock the ceiling , will that make the drums sound better, please help?, im only talking about the ceiling
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

OK, so by "floor joists" then you mean the floor of the ABOVE room, which would also be the CEILING joists of the drum room? If that's what you mean, then putting insulation between the joists (either EVEN with the bottoms with an air gap above, or complete fill) would give the most (and smoothest) absorption - putting sheet rock below that, would cause the ceiling to act as a panel trap. This type trap has a narrow, peaky response and will likely give you headaches. Instead, you can cover the insulation first with some thin (like 1 or 2 mil) plastic - this will do two things; it will keep the insulation from shedding on you, and it will keep the room from sucking out too much of the highs while still absorbing most of what you DO want absorbed. Over the plastic, you can stretch and staple some cloth of your choice; this should be sprayed with a fire retardant spray, here's one source if you can't find this locally -

http://www.natfire.com/

Hope this helps... Steve