adding to outside wall

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

motown59

adding to outside wall

Post by motown59 »

I was hoping to add material to an outside wall of my tracking room. It's residential type construction. 2x4 stud wall with 1/2" drywall inside, fiberglass bats insulation and wood siding with 1x6"s 16" apart on the outside. Concrete shingle roof. Kind of a cabin look. I'll see if I can post a pic..
I was thinking of taking off the 1x6"s and adding some material, maybe soundboard to the existing siding. screw that in and then another layer of siding screwed into the soundboard, and re-add the strips to preserve the original look of the house. would this give me more isolation. it's a distance to the neighbor, maybe 100feet. I don't worry as much about the other side since there are 3 interior walls and rooms. another problem is a 4x6' window and a door. I'm probably only as isolated as the worst leakage among those items but I'm working on sealing the window and the door.
thanks
jump, and the net will appear...
Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

greetings

It should work OK. AS long as you don't create a triple leaf wall, which it doesn't look like you will.

IMPORTANT: You must maintain any water/moisture barriers that are there.

Paul
motown59

Post by motown59 »

brings up a good point: maybe soundboard(homasote) isn't a great idea for an outside wall, even though there will be siding on top? Is it prone to holding moisture more than regular plywood siding? Termites?
Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

motown59 wrote:brings up a good point: maybe soundboard(homasote) isn't a great idea for an outside wall, even though there will be siding on top? Is it prone to holding moisture more than regular plywood siding? Termites?
Greetings

The best person to ask is construction expert Rod Gervais in the RO acoustics forum :)

Paul
motown59

Post by motown59 »

Thank you :D