Air tight....

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

LDQ

Air tight....

Post by LDQ »

Why is the need for a slot resonator to be air tight...like a bottle...In the case of a bottle there is only one opening where the air comes in and that produces a frequency that we all know gets absorved by the insulation. What happens when we make multiple slots...doesn't every slot need it's own space which is air tight in order to work? or when we say air tight we only mean to seal the sides and back wall of the slot resonator cavity???

:roll: :?: :?: :!:
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

doesn't every slot need it's own space which is air tight in order to work? or when we say air tight we only mean to seal the sides and back wall of the slot resonator cavity???
well barefoot would argue you need a separate cavity for greater efficiency but I don't entirely go along with that :lol: so airtight means back and sides like you said.

cheers
john
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

John, it's been a while since I read Barefoot's comments on that, but I was under the impression that the "septum" thing only was necessary if you were trying to do a VARIABLE slot, with (either/or) different slat/slot widths, tapered depth, etc - then, since the wavelength of the target sound waves is (usually) longer than slat width, all the "variations" would just be averaged without "septums" creating individual Hemholz traps.

Did I listen incorrectly? I really want to get this right, BEFORE I fire up the ole "Im-Plee-Mentz Uv Dee-Struk-Shun" again... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

That's as I understand it steve, but as I've said before, I'm no scientist - I just build'em :lol: - I think we'd better get barefoot to explain to us again as he's the person who suggested it.

cheers
john