Control Room Window ... ?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

LDQ

Control Room Window ... ?

Post by LDQ »

Hello all,

In regards to the control room window.... if the distance between the 2 frames (Vocal booth and Control Room) is more than 2' is it still nesesary to angle the glass windows. :?: :?:

Cheers,

Luis.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hey Luis - I'd think it's probably MORE necessary then - the first harmonic between two parallel surfaces 24" apart is 282.5 hZ, which would definitely be an audible coloration.

There is some debate as to the necessity of splaying for NARROWER distances, based on the tradeoff of too small air space for good isolation. John and F. Alton Everest say splay, even for narrow spaces (John, don't let me put words in your mouth, I think that's what you said) but Richard Schrag (worked for Russ Berger Design Group at one time) disagrees - check this -

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/educ ... _Myths.pdf

Also, just found this last night, might be useful to you at this time - Eric is the resident acoustician at studiotips.com BBS, he's Dutch and I sometimes have a hard time understanding what he's trying to say -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/acoustics ... threaded=1

Hope that helped some... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I'd angle them Luis maily for the light factor and creating an angular reflection from them.

Steve - what Eric didn't mention is that a large sheet of glass free standing like in a window is also a large resonator. The drywall is secured to the wall frame at 18" spacing typically whereas the glass is free standing and will resonate back into the room - so the thicker the lower the resonate frequency. I wonder whether his 4" glass used in Galaxy was a laminate??

cheers
john
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

If the stories are true about 100 dB separation between any two rooms, I'd pretty much guarantee the glass is a laminate, and with flexible glue at that :=)

Mr. Schrag did mention the light thing in his comments about angled glass - claimed proper lighting design could overcome it... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...