Midi wiring

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

bigdaddyd

Midi wiring

Post by bigdaddyd »

OK, I have all my line voltage and massive quantaties of shielded cable run (for XLR, mic, headphones, midi..).

I want to tie together my newly aquired Vetta-

:arrow: Big shout out to Roy !!!!!!!! thanx buddy......

anyway, tie the vetta to my flextone III, both are 2x12 combos, and place them on separate sides of the room and control them using midi connections. I hope to have the Vetta use the flextone as a sort of slave. the sounds in this amp are unreal. My question is this,

What is the longest run you can make with a midi cable before you experience voltage drop to the point that it would interfere with the midi communications between the amps? I need 40- 50 feet, and am using the two shielded pair for the prewire. 22 guage.

thanx

D
If someone chops down your family tree, plant a new one and care for it yourself.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Here's as good an answer as any -

http://www.richmondsounddesign.com/faq.html#midilen

I've used 15 and 20 foot midi cables with no problems at all; if you need more than 50, you can always use a pair of Midi Solutions power adapters -

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

Enjoy... Steve
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I haven't dealt w/ midi too much, but it looks like Steve has pointed you in a couple good directions. I was told years ago, not to exceed 10 or 12 feet due to the delay w/ anything much longer, but that is what I was told, and haven't used enough of it except for MTC and other similar situations in recent years. (Which I really hate MTC. Gimme SMTPE... :D )

Aaron
bigdaddyd

Post by bigdaddyd »

Perfect!

Exactly what i needed to read. thanx!

d
If someone chops down your family tree, plant a new one and care for it yourself.