Are my speakers in a null?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Re: Are my speakers in a null?

Post by knightfly »

"Time for a design thread from you is it!???"

Ahhh, the exuberance of youth :twisted:

Greg, only HALF joking with that; interestingly, I had just finished reading through your "train wreck" experience, alternating among laughing, crying, swearing, or attempting to get enough "ordinance" past border patrol to help "solve" your contractor problem :roll: when you posted the above...

As usual, my misguided optimism causes me to understate the time things REALLY take, ; adding to that, my own experiences with contractors leads me to think that, although the studio re-do might go FASTER with help, it will actually be what I WANT if/when it's done, if I just do it all myself and avoid the necessity of threatening grievous bodily harm to anyone but me...

Sooo, the reality is more likely that I could be ready to START the actual design phase of the larger studio in that 2 years I mentioned - even more reality is that I may reach the "put things back in the bedroom/"sanity saver" room in a month or two :cry: - So the first new thread you're likely to see will probably be the re-do of my "not suck so bad modally" bedroom, and I'm not even sure how soon I can get to that.

Reason being: a couple of mandatory/massive projects I have no choice but to prioritize whenever weather allows. (older house, built by an idiot ("flashing?? Whut's that, won't I get arrested??!?") Result - ATM, my house is fully tented on south and east (weather sides, 88 feet total) and will remain fully tented til I finish removing every bit of T1-11 siding and at least half the sheathing, shore up the roof from outside, tear out and re-frame all the windows/doors, patch in new sill boards (dry rot), replace about 4 feet of the living room floor, add a header across back of attached garage for large window (to become new living/family room), add another bath that's accessible from in or outside, replace old windows with insulated ones (including TWO sliding doors), replace sheathing and siding, add on a 12'x24' "morning room" off the OTHER spare bedroom, (location for the OTHER sliding door), etc...

My version of "optimisim" - even if I were to somehow live an extra 100 years (in good health) I'm 100% sure somebody will be "patting me in the face with a shovel" before I EVER get bored... (pretty sure that means I WIN :mrgreen: )

Sooo, short answer: Probably not... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Fair enough. Well, stick around. It's awesome seeing you on the forum.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
valentind82

Re:

Post by valentind82 »

knightfly wrote:If your room's length includes the depth of the rear trap, then your speakers would be in a null front to back that's the 4th harmonic @ 138 hZ; Width-wise, your speakers are as good as they can get Box à Louer - you forgot to list the height of your speakers or your head, so I can't say about any nulls in the vertical axis.

Your head is in another null of the same 4th harmonic of length, or 138 hZ - you should try moving your head rearward by about 4-6", and your speakers forward by about the same.

Heightwise, neither your ears or your woofers should be at 48", they should be either 40-42" high, or at 56-58" high. It's likely that the 40-42" will be more practical.

Hope that helps... Steve
It might be necessary to illustrate this so that everyone understands.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

This shows the peaks and nulls caused by modes. https://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/r ... modes.html