Wiring Studio - Headphones , Mic's , Line In's

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Wiring Studio - Headphones , Mic's , Line In's

Post by Guest »

I'm trying to figure out what my options are.
Here is my current setup.
5 cables going to different rooms and all coming back to the control room. 4 pairs in each cable.
I'm planning to run 2 mic lines w/ phantom power , 1 Headphone , 1 Line In off each wire. Chances are this will never be done at the same time. My question is can I use a patch bay for this and solder or punch down each cable into the back of a patchbay and then use cables from the front to go to the appropiate equipment ?
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

My question is can I use a patch bay for this and solder or punch down each cable into the back of a patchbay and then use cables from the front to go to the appropiate equipment ?
Yes.

:D

You stated a headphone run. Is that signal going to be an amplified signal or line level? If it's amplified, I would strongly recommend running a separate wire for this. Otherwise you'll have a good chance of bleedthrough into you mic lines and amplifying the signal.

Aaron

Post by Guest »

Any patchbay recommendations ? Either solder or punch down type.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Will you be wiring up the console and all outboard gear as well?

Look under the TR&I sticky at the top. There's some links to patchbay info.

:D

Post by Guest »

I will be only wiring up the console to the patchbay and the headphone amp.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

How many channels? Inserts? Mic/line in? Groups?, etc, etc...

Post by Guest »

I will need to get 2 mics and one headphone and one line level off each cable.

This is how I envision using the patchbay is to have the 5 cables that are coming in be soldered or punched down into the back of the patchbay. Then I would like to just take cables from the front of the patchbay to my mixer's line ins and 4 outs from the headphone amp. Is this the way to do it ? I know that running the headphones through the same line is not recommended but there are other cables already in place that I can use for just headphones.

My mixer specs are.
24x8 channels
inserts, direct out, mic , line on each channel
I'm using the direct outs on each channel to go to two delta 1010's soon to add a third.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Do you plan on wiring the entire console to the bays? or just a few channels. Are you using something like a Mackie? or?

Post by Guest »

Planning on wiring each channel to a patchbay. Either a line in or mic in never both. I already have 8 channels used up on the board.
It's a Tac Scorpion 24 channel 8 Buss
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Either a line in or mic in never both.

I'm not familiar w/ the scorpion's connections. Does it not have separate in's for mic and line? And a switch on the channel strip to switch between mic/line?

How extensive do you want to go w/ the patchbays? Do you need ideas / help for layout?

Thanks.

Aaron