952 Studios Planning

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

eightamrock
Site Admin

Re: 952 Studios Planning

Post by eightamrock »

Updated room mode data. Also a question.

The last time I did a studio, it was in a basement so I had the luxury of cement bricks being an amazing isolator. In my new design we are no long subterranean, I want to avoid accidentally creating triple leaf system or missing a M in my MAM. In my MAM assembly, my outer leaf is 2x6 which will be stuff with the rigid insulation 703, on the outside will be plywood wrapped in tyvek with vinyl siding. My guess is that this is not enough mass to truly help, considering my inner leaf is 703 in 2x4 topped with 2 sheets of 5/8" sheet rock. Would I need to also stuff the outer wall cavities with drywall? Would it need to be moisture resistant or will the tyvek be enough vapor barrier?

Lastly what about the roof? Im planning to fully decouple the ceilings, but do I need to also stuff sheetrock in the ceiling joists agains the roof plywood? Would this get destroyed when they put the shingles on? I was hoping that the shingles and sheething would provide enough high up mass in conjunction with the 2-3 feet of space between the live and control room ceilings that it would be good enough... Thoughts on this?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Those who have never failed somewhere, can never be great
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if the plywood sheathing on walls and roof is your exterior mass layer, then beefing them up would probably be the best approach. on the roof (or when dealing with floors with protruding nails) you can add a layer of the rigid 1" blue insulation (pressed onto the nails) which will eliminate the air gap and provide a stable surface for the inter-joist/rafter drywall.
Glenn
eightamrock
Site Admin

Post by eightamrock »

gullfo wrote:if the plywood sheathing on walls and roof is your exterior mass layer, then beefing them up would probably be the best approach. on the roof (or when dealing with floors with protruding nails) you can add a layer of the rigid 1" blue insulation (pressed onto the nails) which will eliminate the air gap and provide a stable surface for the inter-joist/rafter drywall.
Thanks! Given the added load on the rafters, I supposed I would also want to beef them up a size. I would imagine that just meeting code wont work with the added load especially in the snowy/icy northeast
eightamrock
Site Admin

Post by eightamrock »

gullfo wrote:if the plywood sheathing on walls and roof is your exterior mass layer, then beefing them up would probably be the best approach. on the roof (or when dealing with floors with protruding nails) you can add a layer of the rigid 1" blue insulation (pressed onto the nails) which will eliminate the air gap and provide a stable surface for the inter-joist/rafter drywall.
Also any general feedback on my design in general? Im terrified I will get it wrong in some ridiculous way.... I keep redesigning over and over again looking for a better way and oscillating on decisions.
soundman2020 wrote: Stuart
was very helpful to me over 10 years ago, but I don't see him posting much anymore.

Maybe I got it all "ok enough"....
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

I used a 2lb mass loaded vinyl (MLV) for my walls and ceiling. The 1lb might work as well.
It's not cheap but goes a long way towards containing low end.
eightamrock
Site Admin

Post by eightamrock »

Sinclair wrote:I used a 2lb mass loaded vinyl (MLV) for my walls and ceiling. The 1lb might work as well.
It's not cheap but goes a long way towards containing low end.
Ah do you use it as a membrane between sheets of drywall? Do you use it on both leaves?
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

Here's what we did. The 2lb MLV on the studs. Then the isolated clips on the MLV, then the rail system slides into the clips. The drywall is then screwed to the flat parts of the rail. Hope this is clear.
eightamrock
Site Admin

Post by eightamrock »

Sinclair wrote:Here's what we did. The 2lb MLV on the studs. Then the isolated clips on the MLV, then the rail system slides into the clips. The drywall is then screwed to the flat parts of the rail. Hope this is clear.
Yep I used iso clips in my last studio to detach the ceiling from the floor joists above.
midwestmastering

Post by midwestmastering »

Sinclair wrote:Here's what we did. The 2lb MLV on the studs. Then the isolated clips on the MLV, then the rail system slides into the clips. The drywall is then screwed to the flat parts of the rail. Hope this is clear.
This looks great! Does the MVL also act as a vapor barrier for the inside rooms?

Steve
eightamrock
Site Admin

Post by eightamrock »

I am just testing posting a reply. This is my thread lol.