Help Required

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

mikegold

Help Required

Post by mikegold »

Greetings,

Thanks for maintaining this beautiful forum. This is my first post here, please excuse my MS paint skills and any possible lack of information.

This is a semi hypothetical situation, but it will help determine on what i should do next with this basement that i have access to. The dimensions of the rooms are irrelevant for now, since i haven't also figured them exactly yet as well.

The basement is under a 6 floor building (residential area) and it has support columns that could potentially transmit sound easily throughout the entire building. The plan is to make 3 rooms, rehearsal, recording and control room. But let's focus on the 2 of the picture i attached.
These are not actual room ratios, it is mostly a theoretical question. Before i get to the Column question, here is some info:

1) Basement Floor is concrete, and i will isolate the rooms with 100mm concrete floating floor on 50mm rubber pads + porous material for damping.

2) The room walls will be MSM system, with double gypsum board 12.5mm, 150mm airgap [SPAM LINK REMOVED] filled with insulation by 2/3. 1st leaf will be resting on the floated floor, 2nd leaf on the basement floor, except for adjacent A & B room walls.

3) Basement walls are also concrete, 400mm and then there's earth/soil outside on most sides. The rooms are placed minimum 1 meter away from these walls and based on the reading & info i've gathered so far, it won't be creating a 3 leaf system with such wall dimensions and space. But please correct me if i'm wrong.

4) Outer Ceiling is 170mm of concrete, inner ceiling will be gypsum board and i would prefer to not suspend it, but we will see about that.

My problem is that these columns are giving me a hard time in order to make functional rooms size wise, so i kinda have to work around these limitations. Column size is 500 by 500 mm, so they do take up some space already. The picture shows a way i thought to at least minimize the real estate they take with the isolation walls, but i'm not sure if it is a good idea. They will be decoupled, yes, but they will be inside the airspace between the 2 rooms and i'm afraid that there's a chance of them resonating the frequencies that escape the gypsum board. Is that correct? What would you do differently in this regard?

Thank you.

---------------------------

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST: IT IS SPAM. DIRECT PLAGIARISM FROM HERE: https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/view ... =1&t=22965 SPAMMER HAS BEEN BANNED. - Stuart -