New Build?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Nishplayer

Re: New Build?

Post by Nishplayer »

Still playing around after getting some great advice: "Don’t waste the money on those round things. Look at pix of the favorite places to make records, you NEVER see panels on the walls or those round things. Make a 5 sided or non parallel control room, if it’s wide, you’ll have room for bass, keys, etc. in the CR."

Cleaned up and in scale (well sort of lol):

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i would put the mechanical room near the bathrooms rather than in the live room. also, those live room booths will be way too small to be useful. the angled down slider doors will likely not work correctly. passageways should be 44" wide minimum. and generally, the acoustic treatments in pro studios tend to be fully integrated so you don't see them - helps hide their complexities and also makes for better aesthetics. that said, there are plenty of pro studios with discrete treatments placed around the room, depends on budget and design goals. an improperly designed integrated set of treatments can be hard to tweak later as the user/owner becomes more familiar with the characteristics of the space and finds variations in the frequency and/or timing responses that are subtle now require some adjustment to accommodate the finesse of the listener.
Glenn
Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

Just tweaked it a bit....moved Mechanical to make more room in Room B

Will be able to use the Passageway as place to record as well....quoting a friend (with decades in the audio field): "Make the passage way angled like that and tile is with an angled ceiling. By opening the door into the studio you can regulate it’s natural reverb to drums and guitars. No need for speakers…. Cherokee Studios in LA had that and it was legendary. Opening the door from 2” to full was awesome."

I'm not worried about the angled double glass doors either....they will allow better viewing especially into Room B....and their pros outweigh any cons....we will make them work no matter what....

There is plenty of enough room in booths to be useful....small but like iso booths....vocal booth is also more than adequate....

Additional storage under stairs....and upstairs as well....will be able to record bass, guitar, keyboards & vocals in control room as well
Last edited by Nishplayer on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

OK I have cleaned up the layout a bit more....put things in scale more....removed some booths that were just too small to be effective....generally just cleaned up layout....

Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

Cleaned up layout bit more....lost vocal booth as can record vocals etc in CR....

Mechanical and/or Amp Room under stairs with access from Passage way too.

Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

I listened to some advice from other forums about such things as the the length of control room being at the width not depth....and issues that can cause....and having one large room instead of two smaller ones....so tweaked things a bit more

Actually I am starting right back at the CR....here are some thoughts including one from last diagrams:

DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Great jamming you two.... A thought......As a free lance Engineer I have worked in many studios. Quite often the combination of glass and lighting makes visual comms difficult to impossible.
Also, such windows are expensive and difficult engineering. I suggest that cameras and big TV screens would perform better for much lower cost. Such a system could also display lyrics, music notation, a roaring fire, a beach.....
Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

Control room:

Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

Cleaning up layout....added double doors instead of double sliding doors as entry doors to studio space....double/double doors at front entrance to studio for easier load in and out...

Last edited by Nishplayer on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

So I have revised one more time....trying to keep best possible visibility can from control room (though will be using cameras where need)....plus easiest possible load in/out....maximum use of space....while getting best possible acoustic rooms that can....having listened to many on various forums....plus my own reading....and experience in studio....I think I have come up with suitable compromise....by moving control room to back wall....there is a partial wrap around double glass window that is positioned to look onto largest area of live room....a iso/vocal booth as well as drum/guitar room is included....plus providing access to storage/amp room/mechanical room (power supply) under stairway....as well as easy access to control room from both sides of....while maintaining a good flow to space as well as creating a cool vibe....various treatments on walls and ceilings as well as raised floor should help:

Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

I have also looked at another option of the control room in corner:

Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

OK I decided to try the corner control room approach....here's what I got (using John Sayers' design for illustration sake):

Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

So I have been playing around a bit more....put things to scale as best I could....figured out layout from best possible ergonomic standpoint....the best possible flow....still looking at the corner control room....and still working on other possible choices for the control room....this is as close as I’ve got so far:

This is another possible configuration for the corner control room....based from this article ECO-RECORDING STUDIO DESIGN: I. : Proposed Architectural Acoustics and Photovoltaic System by Tim Perry Acoustic Designer at Arqen Sonic, Electrical Engineering & School of Music Student at University of Victoria in British Columbia: http://arqen.com/acoustics/recording-st ... ign/#part1

I have done a version of this as a corner control room with a bass trap behind but not sure if it will be doable:

Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

APPROX. TOTAL STUDIO AREA: 780 SQ. FT

CR approx. 350 sq. ft

LR  approx. 400 sq. ft.

BOOTH approx. 30 sq. ft.
Nishplayer

Post by Nishplayer »

I want to thank everybody for their suggestions....we have our studio layout finally....it is not really like anything I posted of my own....however I'm not able to share it on this or any other forum, as have been asked not to....actually I'd rather show the real deal next time I post here so in the future I will be posting as we get into the actual build....including photos if you like....

But thank you all so much for your feedback....