What makes a great drum room for recording?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

CarmeloLabadie

What makes a great drum room for recording?

Post by CarmeloLabadie »

I've got a potential recording session coming up with a heavy a-la SevenDust band. I recorded them years ago when I didn't know what I was doing at all. Now I certainly know enough to be dangerous. My actual studio space is small. 7 foot ceiling and only 13 x 22. I have an alternative recording space I could use if I wanted to move my recording rig to this other location just to record drums. It has 12 foot ceilings and the room is like 60 x 25. Do you think that it could make a huge difference in the end result? Obviously I can get a way more naturally ambient sound if I want but I'm also pretty decent at doing ambience with software reverbs like epicverb and CSR. The room has thin commercial carpet and is otherwise bare on the walls and ceiling. I do have some acoustic panels I could bring in to set close to the kit to tighten the sound of the close mics but then still have a couple LDCs back in the room somewhere. Suggestions? Thanks.
DanDan

Re: What makes a great drum room for recording?

Post by DanDan »

I would stay in your 'home' studio. Deal with the 7" Ceiling issue. A serious Cloud over the kit and OH mics should help. Or perhaps PZM mics on the ceiling or on the wall behind the drummer. Any mic will become a PZM if it is mounted on or at the boundary. I use DPA 4061 Lavalier Omnis, but SDCs work well too.