"inside out" Ceilings

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

eeny

"inside out" Ceilings

Post by eeny »

Hi Everyone, first post here.

I've been reading through lots of topics as I'm in the early planning stages of my build. One thing that's conme up a few times is the "inside out" wall/ceiling design. This was a new idea to me, and as I have a limited space a very interesting one.

One thing I've not been able to work out or find the answer to with a search is exactly how its constructed (particularly the ceiling). Mostly, how is the leaf attached to the frame? Is it attached from above, or are individual pieces set indise the studwork and fixed from below?

Sorry if this seems a daft question, as I said, I'm still new and learning!

Many thanks.
DanDan

Re: "inside out" Ceilings

Post by DanDan »

Welcome here. Never built one. But I have frequently recommended omitting or removing plasterboard, exposing the beams and the void leading up to the floor above. Fill this with light fibre, cover with fabric. Could you clarify what you mean by 'leaf' and 'frame'
eeny

Post by eeny »

Hi DanDan, probably not using the correct terms yet (still learning!) by frame I mean the joists/studwork and by leaf I mean the osb/plasterboard (i'm certain I used the wrong term there!)
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

It can be done both ways...

If you have adequate height above the proposed ceiling then put the beams across on a ledger attached to the wall studs, then put the boards on top of the beams and nail from above and below.

If you do not have enough space to realistically do that then you can build ceiling modules, this is where you put your beams up with some cross members, then on the ground build some ceiling modules with more timber framing and fix the plasterboard layers to the top of this framing, then lift the whole module into the space between the beams above and attach the module framing to the beams through the sides.

There are quite a few threads with pictures of this latter method if you try and search.
Paul
kalinovich

Post by kalinovich »

Hey everyone! I am an absolute newbie at this, but I am in the process of building an inside out room and wanted to chip in.

I have an 8 foot by 6 foot free-standing, inside out, room-within-a-room. The plan is for the 2x4 ceiling joists to be held up by a 2x4 joist hangers, screwed into the frame, which will give me both the support to lay 3 layers of 5/8ths drywall on top of the room, and the cavities to stuff the ceiling with insulation, and then staple fabric up. If my insulation keeps wanting to fall down, I plan on using Insulation Support ties to keep them in place.

Good luck! I will hopefully be putting up my joists and drywall in the next couple of weeks.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

are the 2x4 joists and the 2x4 joist hangers decoupled in some way so there is no hard connection to the exterior framing the room-within-a-room?
Glenn
kalinovich

Post by kalinovich »

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do want to answer your question:

The free-standing room will be sitting on the floor of my basement, but won't be touching the walls or the ceiling after completion. I do plan on screwing the joist hangers into the freestanding walls I have built, but that frame is independent from the rest of the room, excepting how it sits on the floor. The rest of the wall 2x4's will be as equally attached to each other as the joists are to the frame (and as equally visible from the inside). Have I made a misstep somewhere?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

usually you need to do some form of sway bracing esp since the drywall mass will be significant. you usually need to add bracing to the frame - commonly plywood sheathing, or diagonal let-in braces, or isolation sway bracing to connect to the rest of the structure. also ensure that ducts, wires, conduits, pipes, etc that may connect this new frame to the existing structure are decoupled.
Glenn
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

eeny wrote:One thing I've not been able to work out or find the answer to with a search is exactly how its constructed (particularly the ceiling). Mostly, how is the leaf attached to the frame? Is it attached from above, or are individual pieces set indise the studwork and fixed from below?
Here's one way of doing it:

What is an "inside-out ceiling"? Do you need one? How do you build it?

- Stuart -