Isolation Booth??

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

RobV

Isolation Booth??

Post by RobV »

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. So....hello! :D

Anyways, I'm building a small isolation booth for my 4X12 speaker cabinets, and I'm wondering how I can put the speaker cables, and other wires through to this booth will keeping it as sound proof as possible?

What I'll have is my rack with preamp/power amp and the speaker cables going to the 4X12 speaker cabinet (which is in the booth). I'll also have the mic inside this booth, so I'll need to get the mic cable out of the booth to my mixer to record.

My main goal with this "box", is to be able to crank my amp up a bit, without the sound being too loud outside of the box and bleeding through to other mics while recording. Like wise, other sounds creeping into the guitar mic while recording.

Any other tips for constructing this booth would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
gdgross

Post by gdgross »

I would think it'd be better to use panel-mounted jacks on each side (inside & outside) of the iso booth. You'd obviously want to put a few of each XLR and 1/4". Then you can do all the good-practice soundproofing stuff you'd do to a room, like offsetting the jacks, vibration isolation, caulking & sealing, etc.

This way you don't have to worry about stuffing a hole with foam when your run cables through.

Let's see what the experts say, though. I'm a newbie here myself!
Geoff
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Geoff, I'd have to agree - only other way that works is to permanently caulk a set of cables into the wall, offset as you mentioned and totally sealed - that's kind of messy looking though... Steve
RobV

Post by RobV »

ehhh.....yea that sounds about right.

This is starting to become a lot more involved than I first thought.

Thanks guys.

Rob