Installing panels over surface mount electrical

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

JV-STR8

Installing panels over surface mount electrical

Post by JV-STR8 »

Excuse me if this has been covered, I searched and couldn't find anything answering this specific question.

What's the ideal way to approach handling surface mount electrical boxes/conduit when trying to achieve continuous walls/ceilings of panels?

I spoke with John Brandt and he gave me guidance on how to manage my treatment in this tiny booth I'm building but I can't quite figure out the electrical to work with it quite like he described. So, surface mount everything with all the boxes being the same thickness as the treatment. Do I just notch all the panels where needed and cut out insulation from the area where the boxes go? Just seems it would be pretty messy and difficult to get right.

Also- any advice on type/brand of metal clips for hanging/mounting panels tight to walls? The "Z" clips I've found seem like overkill for my 3" thick panels. Some keyhole hangers seem closer, not sure of real world use for this though.

Was planning on mounting the ceiling panels first with "L" brackets on either end. Then, after those were up, hang the wall panels to hide the gaps created by the ceiling panel installation. Anything that I should consider with that?

Thanks all, J
gullfo

Re: Installing panels over surface mount electrical

Post by gullfo »

lookup "French cleat" which will help mounting and positioning treatment panels.

as far as surface mount - maybe just get surface mount kit and install. not sure how much wiring you need - a single quad outlet? a set of XLR (4?) for the mics and/or foldback?
Glenn
JV-STR8

Post by JV-STR8 »

gullfo wrote:lookup "French cleat" which will help mounting and positioning treatment panels.

as far as surface mount - maybe just get surface mount kit and install. not sure how much wiring you need - a single quad outlet? a set of XLR (4?) for the mics and/or foldback?
Thanks Glenn,

French cleats sound like a great idea, easier to shift panels slightly after hanging if needed for more seamless look.

Not sure what you mean by "surface mount kit" but I just plan on running the romex directly through inner leaf to a surface junction box (using caulk.) I was planning to mount the boxes on some plywood pieces to get it to match the thickness of the panels (unless the boxes I use don't need it.) I only planned on one or two outlets depending on where I can run the romex into the booth (might as well install an outlet at where the j-box is if it doesn't match where I need the outlets for my gear.) Then have it travel up to a switch and continue to one or two boxes on the ceiling. Not sure how to handle the low profile lighting, maybe just a couple braces on each panel to hod them in place? Would like to see how others have gotten it to work.

Thanks again, J
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

I would recommend a 'kick' space near the floor. Traps would get damaged down there. Hanging can be helped a lot if you can find ready to go hardware. Expandet have a plasterboard plug and screw set, where the screw head is in fact a loop, an eye. I find plastic cable ties ideal for hanging.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

just make sure to seal the inner leaf penetrations fully. also make sure the wire is not stretched tight (make a bend) across the inner and outer leaf to avoid bridging.
Glenn