703, 814, RHT40 cost?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Audio Elements

703, 814, RHT40 cost?

Post by Audio Elements »

Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting some acoustical panel fiberglass boards to wrap in fabric, 3" for control room, live room, & booth walls, 1" for cieling clouds.
I recieved a quote of
$1.16/sf for 3" Owens-Corning 703, and
$0.40/sf for 1" Owens-Corning 703, unfaced.
He said the prices were the same for the John Manville 814 product that is equivalent.

This was a bit higher than I was expecting, and I'm looking around for other companies to get quotes from. Has anybody gotten better prices?

I saw in another post that suggested Roxual RHT40 was equivalent and a bit cheaper, and maybe other companies have equivalent boards as well (CertainTeed?).

Anyone willing to say what they paid for any one of these products $/sf?
At those prices what I need will cost just over $1,000, and I was hoping to spend much less as construction has just about tapped me out.
Thanks,
Steve
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I think I recall paying arond .25/sq ft for RHT40 2" and about .45/sq ft for RHT-40 4"
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
Arthur Rice

Post by Arthur Rice »

Hey Steve,
I checked with a company called SPI in Kingsport TN, they gave me a price of $1.01 sqft for 703 2", 1.36 for 3" so it looks like you may be in a good ball park for price, I didn't have my total sq footage when I called so they said they might beat that price alittle. You might give them a call just for referance.
423-246-7799

Arthur

PS Can i ask where you got your price, I'm working on another deal if I can beat that price I'll let you know.
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

From what I have read in the last while those prices are quite reasonable for that product.

Prices vary wildly by region due to local market demands, factory proximity, phase of the moon, etc.

Many companies make equivalent (acoustically) products. Check out

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

for products and links to companies' sites.

I seem to recall Thermafiber isn't too far (500 miles?) from you and a company named something like "American Rockwool" is in Alabama.

Also try a more generic query like "I am looking for sound absorbent insulation like 3 lb/ft^3 fiberglass or 4 lb/ft^3 mineral wool. Exact density isn't important. Got any specials or have any customers with leftovers from a large job if the order sizes are too large for me?"

The best bang per buck in my part of the continent is Roxul "Safe N Sound" which is 2.5 lb/ft^3 3" thick mineral wool. The price works out to around 33 cents per square foot.

Good luck!
Andre