a low ceiling control room

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

krisg

a low ceiling control room

Post by krisg »

Hi all

I am finding myself having to spend a little over a year in a space with the following dimensions - 5,22m x5,77m, with a height of 2,20m. Yes, that is VERY low :D. Me having 1,93m height obviously doesn't help. I need to work there until my new studio is built and need to tame some serious low-frequency issues.

The range above 200/300 Hz has been dealt with but I am a bit stuck with the low end. I do have a part of the corridor behind the studio that could act as a bass trap. The place is sealed off as a sort of storage space with pretty heavy doors. It has dimensions of 3,35m x 1,37m by 2,2m in height.
I can also build a separate bass trap in the studio itself.

I would appreciate any thoughts and can post any additional info if needed.
Music is movement in stillness.
gullfo

Re: a low ceiling control room

Post by gullfo »

if you open the doors into that storage, what does the response look like? right now it's mostly a square room... if opening up that space can shift some of the modal response, that would be a good first start. of course all the usual goodies - corner traps, cloud (maybe 150mm thick), first reflection, back wall, front wall. also consider ceiling soffits as a means of getting a lot of absorption around those corners - something like 400mm h x 600mm d built with 2x2 or equiv metal, faced with semi-rigid, and back filled with soft wall insulation. build in sections so you can remove later and perhaps reuse.
Glenn
krisg

Post by krisg »

Thank you for the super fast and detailed response Gullfo! Much appreciated. The studio is otherwise treated and this storage space for the moment doesn't have direct access from the studio. We can however make an opening. We have calculated the opening to be quite large though. The window behind the right speaker has been obstructed to even out the stereo image and some frequency problems this created.

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

very nice!
Glenn
krisg

Post by krisg »

Thanks :). Closing off the window was a great improvement. In fact opening the other one helps with the bass and the birds by the lake I can live with :D. There is still that part of the corridor behind that I want to close with a door to act as a locker. I could in fact take part of the wall out between the control room and this space.

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

you could use a gap in the middle into that space (symmetry) to get the main room length mode into the trap, and perhaps still have some space for a small storage closet if needed.
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

I recommend you try a test. Remove the traps behind the speakers. Move the speakers to almost touching the front wall. Reverse the woofers to get them as close as possible. I mean it, kissing, 1mm. I place masking tape on mine to prevent scratching.
This just might, IMO there is a decent chance, that your SBIR dips will soften. I would redeploy the traps to corner duty.
krisg

Post by krisg »

gullfo wrote:you could use a gap in the middle into that space (symmetry) to get the main room length mode into the trap, and perhaps still have some space for a small storage closet if needed.
I didn't quite get that. My drawing wasn't exact either. Here's a fuller picture. The red line is where the door would be.

krisg

Post by krisg »

DanDan wrote:I recommend you try a test. Remove the traps behind the speakers. Move the speakers to almost touching the front wall. Reverse the woofers to get them as close as possible. I mean it, kissing, 1mm. I place masking tape on mine to prevent scratching.
This just might, IMO there is a decent chance, that your SBIR dips will soften. I would redeploy the traps to corner duty.
Good idea. I will try that, though the leads behind will not allow for 1mm :), I could try with angled wires.
krisg

Post by krisg »

DanDan wrote:I recommend you try a test. Remove the traps behind the speakers. Move the speakers to almost touching the front wall. Reverse the woofers to get them as close as possible. I mean it, kissing, 1mm. I place masking tape on mine to prevent scratching.
I took the panels off and moved the speakers close to the wall. The low end didn't change that much. However the low mids and mids took a nasty turn so I put it all as it was. Exchanging the speaker and the sub extender was a nice try too. I will need listen more closely how that impact the sound. Good idea!
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

after you add the door, you punch through the wall creating a vertical slot (above the 452 measure in the closet) which acts as a slot on a HH resonator. but larger - like 30cm-40cm wide. then build you trapping in the closet space.
Glenn
krisg

Post by krisg »

gullfo wrote:after you add the door, you punch through the wall creating a vertical slot (above the 452 measure in the closet) which acts as a slot on a HH resonator. but larger - like 30cm-40cm wide. then build you trapping in the closet space.
And the actual size of the slot doesn't matter? HH resonator is precisely calculated for resonant frequency and the size of the hole matters, right?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

it's less a true HH and more of a gap to let LF enter into a large bass trap, and not come out :) it my need to be larger depending on what the main LF freq is.
Glenn
krisg

Post by krisg »

gullfo wrote:it's less a true HH and more of a gap to let LF enter into a large bass trap, and not come out :) it my need to be larger depending on what the main LF freq is.
29 Hz
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

maybe something like this?
Glenn