Stand alone "room in a room" studio build in Orange NSW Aust

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

gearjunk1e

Stand alone "room in a room" studio build in Orange NSW Aust

Post by gearjunk1e »

Hi everyone

I meant to get around to this before but….documenting my build as I go
(My design post is on http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=22503)

Almost completed the first stage of the build - what is referred to as a "hay shed" - basically a galvanised steel frame with a corodek (galv iron) roof on a concrete slab. Just some work to do to finish the front gutter and barge flashing. I've installed insulation under the roof to address excessive noise from rainfall and condensation issues - just need to tape up joins.
20210531_155214.jpg
Anticon
20210601_161404.jpg
Shed frame side
20210601_161504.jpg
Shed front

Dug the trench for the electrical and ethernet cables; had to dig by hand given I was trying to dodge water pipe and sewer pipes and didn't have a plan for exactly where they'd been laid. All pipes found with no incidents :D
20210601_161330.jpg
trench

Next step is doing the damp proofing and flashing that will sit under the treated pine frames that will hold both the external skin (corodek) on the outside of that frame and the walls of the outer room - on the inside of that frame. We sit on top of the ridge here and the rain can come in sideways from any direction so I'm taking a dual approach to waterproofing the base - DPC selected is bitumen coated aluminium that can be folded to shape
file-1.png
sill plate and sills

Andrew
John Steel

Re: Stand alone "room in a room" studio build in Orange NSW

Post by John Steel »

Hello Andrew,
Great to see your plan taking shape in the real world - congratulations.
Dug the trench . . . had to dig by hand
Yikes - that would have put me in the ground!
You've clearly designed your project with detail & care. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop - good luck! John.