Doubt about Acoustic window

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

normans

Doubt about Acoustic window

Post by normans »

Hello guys, Im getting my contractor to do a Hole for the acoustic window, It is on a brick wall ,
My doubt is , If im planning to acoustically treat the wall on the side of the control room , Should I treat it first? ( My plan is to frame it with wood and then Rockwool and fabric..) or can I get him to do the window hole and then treat it after? I forgot..
the control room is 5x5x2.5 ( meters) What size of window should i get? is there an ideal size?

Thanks!!
norman
gullfo

Re: Doubt about Acoustic window

Post by gullfo »

creating the opening should not be a problem. ensure it's properly edged so it's seals correctly. install the window should also be ok, again, it should be sealed properly, exterior finish consistent with building codes and moisture protection etc.

size - minimum should comply with any building or community codes, and then based on your isolation needs and budget. a "just big enough" egress window (say 900mm w x 1500m h) (as might be defined in building codes or community codes) may meet your needs for a good view and be cost effective. a large "we have a really nice view" window 3000mm w x 2000mm h would be a much more expensive proposition...
Glenn
normans

Post by normans »

Love u man, Really aprecciate ur help , Ill start doing the hole for the window. Ill post some Pictures ! for the update. :D
as for the thickness of the glass is 9mm and 6mm OK?

norman
norman
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

depends on your isolation requirement. i'd likely go with 12mm and 9mm if its in your budget. and heavier if you really can swing it and you're in a noisy area.
Glenn
normans

Post by normans »

0C2851CF-E230-4C1B-AB83-752DC7D555C8.jpeg

thats where the windows gonna be. my plan is to put bass traps on both corners and treat the wall. also i gotta put a door there. im finding that if i want to be in the center of the room. the window is gonna be a bit to the side.
norman
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

that should be no problem to have the window off center with the door. you can always use a heavy drape on the window to cut acoustic reflections as well as reduce light levels (e.g. glare).
Glenn
normans

Post by normans »

nice tip. so to do like the snake hole. do i need to buy the snake first or is there a measure for it. and also. is there a certain way to do it? or is it just a hole haha sorry if its a dumb question

Should i just do same things as the Window frame , and just put the snake inthere ? where can i found how to do it , sorryyy
norman