A small storage studio in Israel

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

CuriousErezMor

A small storage studio in Israel

Post by CuriousErezMor »

Hello all, my first post here : )
will try to cover all the rules from the main post.
sorry for my English, as its not my main language.

I am an electronic producer from Israel.
we have a storage unit and I thought about turning it into a mixing studio.
now its just a room filled with stuff.
room will be mainly for mixing. will also record instruments and vocals but the room doesn't have to be soundproof.

I am mixing on 85 DBSPL most of the time but sometimes I need to go higher. there is a shared wall with the neighbors storage room, but its just a storage so I guess its okay loudness wise.

the room is in Israel in a small city near Jerusalem, called Har Adar. the room is 3 stairs below surface, as one wall of it is completely underground
room size is:
L - 358 Cm
W - 314 Cm
H - 201 Cm
it is pretty small and the celling is very short : (
but I am having this feeling that it can be a good mixing room, when I am in it and clapping lol.
ceiling, walls and floors are concrete.
the walls are parallels.
there is no windows.
behind the west wall there is an "under the stairs space" with an diagonal ceiling. photo attached.
Budget is 4000$ - 6000$ flexible.

me and my dad have construction and wood tools and we like to build stuff, if its possible to save some money like this.

is the room dimensions are too small to make it a proper mixing room?

thought about turning the under stair space into a vocal booth.

we thought about covering the floor with wood parquet. is it a good idea?

the door made from metal and its pretty thin, thought about replacing it with something more solid, would love to hear some advices about that. and also about a vent for some fresh air.

let me know if I forgot anything, great day : )
Last edited by CuriousErezMor on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gullfo

Re: A small storage studio in Israel

Post by gullfo »

welcome! this looks like a interesting space. you'll definitely need to consider the HVAC early on. maybe the under stairs area could be your utility closet with HVAC, and route the air exchange ducting in a ceiling soffit around the edge of the room - and vent through a wall, or perhaps some flexible ducting through the (replacement :) ) door for venting if you cannot penetrate the walls.
Glenn
CuriousErezMor

Post by CuriousErezMor »

gullfo wrote:welcome! this looks like a interesting space. you'll definitely need to consider the HVAC early on. maybe the under stairs area could be your utility closet with HVAC, and route the air exchange ducting in a ceiling soffit around the edge of the room - and vent through a wall, or perhaps some flexible ducting through the (replacement :) ) door for venting if you cannot penetrate the walls.
hi gulfo! thank you for you comment
utility closet sounds like a grate idea!
I also thought about a vent through the door as the walls are pretty thick.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Bienvenido. The dimensions are extremely small, this does put a big question mark on mixing.
I can't imagine any benefit from a hard floor.
CuriousErezMor

Post by CuriousErezMor »

DanDan wrote:Bienvenido. The dimensions are extremely small, this does put a big question mark on mixing.
I can't imagine any benefit from a hard floor.
you think it wont be possible to solve it with acoustic treatment?