Mix studio in a 6 m2 room

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Pasz

Mix studio in a 6 m2 room

Post by Pasz »

Hello!

I have a very small (2 x 6 meter, about 2,40 meter high ceiling) room which I want to mix in. I understand this is a very suboptimal room for mixing, but it's all I have at the moment. I get a long way with mixing on headphones, but need to check mixes to properly set panning, create a good balance between the sides and center in the mix, and for that I need to check on speakers.

So the challenges are:
- Very small room (2 x 6 m, about 2,40 m high)
- I can't move or change the furniture
- I can't move the location of my computer and monitors

I use (very small but remarkably nice sounding!) Presonus Eris 3.5 nearfields on stands, with some felt between the stands and speakers to decouple them from the desk.

Without any treatment, the sound is actually not that bad. The stereo imaging is not terrible. There's a big bump at around 160hz.

My plan is:
- Put 3 panels (55cm x 55cm x 10cm) with Rockwool RockSono behind the nearfields and TFT monitor. I can't do 1 large panel as the bookshelf supports are in the way, see photo.
- Put 2 or maybe three larger panels (100 x 60) with RockSono behind me
- Put corner absorber in the corner behind the right speaker, between the desk and bookshelf

I attached a 3d render which shows the panels in yellow, and a photo (pardon the mess).

I understand it will be impossible to get this small room - with all the limitations - sounding perfect, but I hope it will sound good enough to do at least a part of a mix in, e.g. check that stereo field.

Any feedback will be most appreciated.
gullfo

Re: Mix studio in a 6 m2 room

Post by gullfo »

remember the ceiling and sides as well.
Glenn