orientation of pitched ceilings

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

normans

orientation of pitched ceilings

Post by normans »

Hello, This is my first time in the forum , Im reconstructing a ceiling from a 3 x 3.80 ( meters) room the ceiling is being build again in a 4 (meters ) high .. its gonna be a pitched roof , my question is , what is better? to make it pitch on the long side or on the shorter side? and why..

thanks for the heeelp :)

I hope i explained myself.. i attached a pic
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 02.40.24.jpeg
norman
gullfo

Re: orientation of pitched ceilings

Post by gullfo »

ok, pitch roof makes sense, rain and all that. why a pitched ceiling? worst case - slope on the sides to sufficient height and then a flat (long ways) center. but if you feel compelled to do the slope on the ceiling, i'd go short ways down the length then add a large broadband absorption on the peak to create a flat center. the key is symmetry. going with the slope from front to middle and middle to back (long ways), will be harder to treat and doesn't really buy you anything acoustically. not to mention the wasted space below the roof in the front and back sections.
Glenn
normans

Post by normans »

COOL! thanks for answering !
So.. is just mm the construction here is gonna be made of bricks and cement, I thought that pitched ceilings helped with acoustics.

To see if i get what you said : The best option is to go from the short side and leave a flat center like the example i attached ( the black being a flat center.

I dont know if the construction worker can leave it pitched roof and flat ceiling .. ill ask him.. but if not...
what you are saying is to hang absorption all along the center of the ceiling .. ?

I have no idea in terms of acoustical treatment wise , I will use the space to place the Drums in that room so it will be sort of a liveroom which is gonna be connected with the room next to it which is 3.8m x 4m x 2.60. i haven't decided if ill leave it open or separeted with a sliding glass door or somethn .. Ill post pics later for opinions, but for now i just wanted to know the ceiling thing..

Thanks again !

IMG_2930.jpg
norman
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

yes, if peaked, the center is effectively a corner.
Glenn
normans

Post by normans »

Right on! , Thank you so much , in the next days Ill post the pics of the place, to see if u can help me make the best decisions :D

Thankyou!!
norman
normans

Post by normans »

This is the project i want to build , if u could give me your thoughts..!

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22791

Thankyouu
norman