Drum studio and several rehearsal rooms on the same floor.

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

gullfo

Re: Drum studio and several rehearsal rooms on the same floo

Post by gullfo »

nice workpersonship. if you thump on it with a rubber hammer, are you getting resonances? maybe a bass amp and run some sweeps and feel how the floor reacts - if its mainly dead while the sweeps are going, you should be in good shape.
Glenn
Phonic_Norway

Post by Phonic_Norway »

gullfo wrote:nice workpersonship. if you thump on it with a rubber hammer, are you getting resonances? maybe a bass amp and run some sweeps and feel how the floor reacts - if its mainly dead while the sweeps are going, you should be in good shape.
Thanks Glenn! I have pounded with rubber hammer on the floor and it sounds pretty dead. I have not tested with bass amp yet, as I do not have this available in the room at the moment. Will test it later before I build the other floors.

I have also looked at silencer boxes for the ventilation system and will try to build some myself. Has started on two boxes based on Gregwor's Silencer Box layout, but has used 22 mm chipboard instead of MDF, and will add two layers of gypsum on the outside, hope this will work ?.
IMG_2231.jpg

But regarding internal insulation, I'm not sure what I can use as I have not found the duct liner available here.
I have a large amount of insulation boards available, they are actually ceiling tiles 20mm with white painted medium hard surface on the outside and pressure-resistant insulation inside. Can this be used? Two layers maybe = 40mm.
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2236.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg
Another option I have is a fireproof insulation mat for ventilation pipes, but this has an aluminum surface with mesh on one side and rockwool inside. Not sure if this is suitable?
IMG_2232.jpg
Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

yes the addition of gwb on the outside will work. i usually spec 20mm ply or osb + 16mm gwb wrapping it - depending on where it is. the faced insulation would be better - make sure the joints on corners etc are sealed so as to avoid fibers coming loose.
Glenn