Drums recording studio with vocal cabin and mixing

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

m.burza

Drums recording studio with vocal cabin and mixing

Post by m.burza »

Hi,

I'm new :). I want to build studio for drums recording with mixing room, two in one plus voc cabine.

My start project.

What do you think about it?
Last edited by m.burza on Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
gullfo

Re: Drums Recording studio with vocal cabine

Post by gullfo »

it looks like a good first start. remember sound is 3D so ceiling is important. windows - consider window blocks for recording time (could be interior shutters or fully removeable plugs). oxygen is important for singers and drummers so plan you fresh air (as well as cooling/heating/humidity/filtering) early and often as too many people wait until the end to try and retro-fit their HVAC until it's too late without a lot of rework or health risk by not doing it properly.
Glenn
m.burza

Re: Drums recording studio with vocal cabin and mixing

Post by m.burza »

I made this entry project to plan places for mixing, live space recording, and cabin for vocal or double bass. The hight of room is 3m. I have big windows in this room, so I will design portable plugins on it (playwood with rockwool).

The vocal cabin will have separate floor and celling. I have to design some HVAC for it.

My goal is to have place for recording drums and bands. I have second room in this building, this room is 2,20m x 3m, 3m hight and could be adapted letter for saxophone player or piano. But first i want to made this "big" one room with cabin.

What do you think to have mixing place and live room in one, some live space for recording drums and place for mixing? Is this possible? (flexible absorbers with joints on walls). Or better plan will be to design a mixing room and live room separate?
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

Hello & welcome aboard the rollercoaster!
I will design portable plugins
Any material that you choose to block up the window space should be at least as dense as the walls around it for maximum isolation. I know you intend to record drums (usually around 115dB) so you will need a high level of isolation.
What do you think to have mixing place and live room in one
There's no reason why this can't work - you'll probably need to design variable acoustic treatments to suit both tracking & mixing, but as I understand it, mixing spaces tend to work best in symmetrical rooms and your current design is not symmetrical (there's a lot of information on this forum about this & other aspects of control room design).
I have to design some HVAC for it.
Yes, indeed! This is probably the most difficult part of building a studio and there's a great deal to learn about HVAC before you get anywhere near picking up your tools to build. Good luck m.burza - I look forward to seeing your design developing. Best wishes, John.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

one option for the one big room for mixing and tracking - you could use some plexi panels (like they use for drum boxes in churches etc) to form a "wall", some free standing and/or wall mounted absorption, and some low hanging clouds over the mix area. this frees up the rest of the room for live instruments to hear and interact with each other. and of course you could re-use the plexi panels for the drums or other loud instruments when you want separation of the instruments.
Glenn
m.burza

Post by m.burza »

My project looks now:.

I want to made portable absorbers to have more symetric mixing place, and remove them for tracking.
I have to make corners in Voc Cabin, sketch doors. What about some Havac box for Cabin like in a second photo. It will be sound isolating? I'm not shure with corners and sides of mixing place. Can i place there hangers? I have to design cellings.

I'm going in good direction?

PS.
Thank you for help :)
DanDan

Obtuse Strategies

Post by DanDan »

A different viewpoint worth considering IMO.
The acoustics conditions for Vocals, Double Bass, and many other sources are the same as for Mixing. i.e. A controlled Non Acoustic.
Drums, sax, violin, and other like a lively room. Perhaps send them to the distant room, which will also help with isolation.
Screens and Cameras are cheap and good these days.
m.burza

Post by m.burza »

Do you think it's good idea to put this hangers like this on photo, behind front wall and on right? Or it will be better to put hangers only on front, and on sides 10mm rockwoll.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Placing that Vocal Booth next to Mixing seems problematic. I would try to give the Mix location full width and do all other 'stuff' behind. We are pretty deaf to stuff behind...... Also the Non Acoustics of a Mix area are ideal for clear uncoloured vocals.