New studio build, need advice!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

cbruce32

New studio build, need advice!

Post by cbruce32 »

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and have a question about a an existing building I'm getting ready to finish out for my new studio. The building is 12' x 24' with trusses set on 10' wall height. Framing is 2x6 construction and trusses are 2x4. Both the trusses and the wall framing are 24" on center. The center of the roof is 12' from the concrete slab. The exterior of the building has 1/2" structural fiberboard sheathing and is sided with James Hardie concrete fiber board sheets and sealed at all the seams and then battened over the seams. This building is approximately 50 yards from my home and I live in a very remote area in the mountains of southern New Mexico, USA. My closest neighbor is 1.5 miles away and they are the only neighbor within 5 miles. I have 18 acres which is surrounded by public land on all 4 sides of my private land.

My house is very well insulated and constructed so my goal with this studio build is not complete isolation from the outside world but to lower DB levels so they are not overly loud where they can be heard inside the house. Currently, when I play my drums inside that building, which currently had no insulation, they can be heard inside the house.

My question is: would I get enough isolation of sound from my new studio to my house, if I were to add 2x2 strips of lumber to the current 2x6 construction making the stud thickness 2x8 respectively, filling with R-30 Rockwool insulation and covering the studs on the walls and ceiling with fabric. The ceiling would be covered at 10' with the insulation being held in by insulation supports of most likely small 2x2 pieces cut and secured in between the trusses. I am also hoping this would solve some acoustic treatment issues as well. My thought with this is, if I cover the insulated wall with fabric, I could then arrange wood slats onto the wall to help bring back some reflection into the room which I could experiment with so I could get the right amount. The rear wall behind the mixing desk would be a diffuser of some sort, not sure what I want to use just yet. I understand for isolation, mass and air space need to be involved but as I stated I'm only looking to reduce volume levels. I also don't have any outside sources that need to be blocked out since there is little to no traffic and the road is over 100 yards from the new studio.

I understand this is an impossible question to answer on its face without having actual SPL measurements. However, I am hoping someone on this site has experience with a single leaf wall construction of this type and would have an idea of the approximate effectiveness of this type of situation.

I am a drummer by trade and have like most others, been out of work in the touring realm due to the current global situation. I therefore have been doing much more work with remote tracking and have picked up several jobs mixing and producing, also remotely. I own a small cabin on the other side of my property which I currently use as my studio but it is quite a walk and my wife and I are hoping to use that cabin for a rental for clients who are coming to the studio and for a quiet getaway for another income stream.

Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Calib
gullfo

Re: New studio build, need advice!

Post by gullfo »

the better approach to isolation would be to use drywall layers on the 2x6 and the trusses (fill the frames with the R30 and cover the ceiling with 2x R30). then add absorption (absorbers scattered to reduce echoes and RT but also provide a diffusive effect) to the walls and ceiling. this way you have an OK level of isolation and it's fully reusable in the future as a finished space.
if the place is sealed - ensure fresh air exchange 25-35% per hour minimum. ERV are good for this if you don't need heat/cooling.
Glenn
cbruce32

Post by cbruce32 »

gullfo wrote:the better approach to isolation would be to use drywall layers on the 2x6 and the trusses (fill the frames with the R30 and cover the ceiling with 2x R30). then add absorption (absorbers scattered to reduce echoes and RT but also provide a diffusive effect) to the walls and ceiling. this way you have an OK level of isolation and it's fully reusable in the future as a finished space.
if the place is sealed - ensure fresh air exchange 25-35% per hour minimum. ERV are good for this if you don't need heat/cooling.
Thank you very much Glenn.

Would Drywall be a better option than 3/4 plywood? If so, could you explain the differences please.

Thanks again.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

you could use 3/4" ply but the density of the drywall is higher, so if you can afford a denser ply (like marine or exterior ply) then go with that.
Glenn
cbruce32

Post by cbruce32 »

gullfo wrote:you could use 3/4" ply but the density of the drywall is higher, so if you can afford a denser ply (like marine or exterior ply) then go with that.
Thank you for your quick responses Glenn. I really appreciate it. I will probably just use two sheets of 5/8 rock then.

Calib.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

best bet. or more Hardie board depending on the cost.
Glenn