Clean Power vs. Dirty Power - Where to Plug What...

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Sundown

Clean Power vs. Dirty Power - Where to Plug What...

Post by Sundown »

Hi Guys,

I have attached some images of my receptacle plan for my 21' x 13' basement studio. I might prune a few receptacles before I'm done (I put a lot in for future flexibility), but I have intentionally designed the electrical plan to keep my audio gear separate from non-audio gear.

Here's where I get a bit confused...

I'm not sure if electrical noise can travel through other types of cables (audio, video, etc.), and for a few devices, it's not clear to me if I should plug them into clean outlets (my audio-only, star grounded, IGRs), or plug them into my standard receptacles (or what I'll call "dirty power"). I'll probably put a Furman power conditioner and voltage regulator between my most important audio devices and the receptacles.

For the few devices with question marks, can you help clarify the best plan?

Thanks in advance.

Synths, mixer, DAW CPU tower, powered NFMs - Clean Audio-Only Power
LCD monitors, currently using DVI-D cables - Dirty Power ???
DVD player that I sample from - Clean Audio-Only Power
Tiny LCD display that the DVD player plugs into - Dirty Power
MIDI Interface with a wall wart - ???
gullfo

Re: Clean Power vs. Dirty Power - Where to Plug What...

Post by gullfo »

the plan looks good, however, you do need to adhere to electrical code and those outlets on the floor level will not cut it.
Glenn
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

gullfo wrote:the plan looks good, however, you do need to adhere to electrical code and those outlets on the floor level will not cut it.
Hmm. They are all 12" off the floor level which I thought was the NEC recommendation. I'm having an electrician do all the work, so if they are a bit low, he should know.

Todd
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

ah , ok. it looks like they're in the baseboard on the drawings you provided which is why i mentioned it.
Glenn
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

How does the electricity get from the breaker panel to the outlet boxes and receptacles?
How do they get around the door?
Most homes basement studios don't use ridge (EMT) or flexible metal conduit.

You are way over thinking this.
Kevin
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Speedskater wrote: You are way over thinking this.
Hi Kevin,

Well, I just don’t want to look back with any regrets. Not after spending all this money and time… I have some power-related noise in my present studio and I look forward to a time when my power is as clean as it can be (within reason).

To your question, audio circuits will be fed with solid MC 10/2 with the grounds all tied to a common bar (star ground). Nothing else will be on those circuits (no lighting, no convenience outlets, etc).

As for getting around the door, I trust we will use the joists to get to the outlets, but if not, there should be enough clearance above the door header to run wire.

Todd