Suggestion for a Center Speaker

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

OSC46

Suggestion for a Center Speaker

Post by OSC46 »

Hello

I am building my studio at the moment and my Yamaha HS80M monitors will be soffit mounted. They make a subwoofer to go with these speakers but no center speaker. Can someone suggest an appropriate one for this system. THank you...

ricardo or dr space.. 8)
gullfo

Re: Suggestion for a Center Speaker

Post by gullfo »

are you looking for a center speaker? why not just get another HS80M?
Glenn
OSC46

Post by OSC46 »

Another HS80M would work. I am not 100% sure I will do surround sound but I would like to so I am trying to prepare for that. It is recommended that all your main speakers are the same.

Thanks.
ricardo or dr space
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

yes, if going with the surround, i'd suggest using all HS80M and depending on your space, soffit mounting the sides and rear units if feasible. really depends on how much surround work you do versus need for more open space or putting the side/rear units off to the side when not in use.
Glenn
OSC46

Post by OSC46 »

Hello Glenn.

My mixing room is only 18m2, so I realize this is quite small for surround mixing. I would like to soffit mount the rear speakers but I think this is going to be tricky and make the room even smaller. I am considering using HS7 speakers in the rear and all HS8 ones on the front as suggested. They make a matching subwoofer for this series as well. I don't think I will do much but you never know. If there is a demand and I can become good at it, then perhaps. NO one in the genre I work (psychedelic and space rock) is doing 5.1 mixes so there is a niche for sure.
Thanks for the advice..
scott
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

that's because everyone in that genre is using 11.8.2 ambiosonic surround :wink:

maybe just do a stereo setup with the HS80M in the walls and the smaller HS7 on stands all around + sub for the 5.1
Glenn
OSC46

Post by OSC46 »

This is probably what we will do. It would be nice to put the center speaker in the soffit though.. Thanks.
scott